Pine Donkey

Playing Possum?

5 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

that thing is hideous 

How many beers would it take to change your opinion?

• Like 1

I saw a dead on a few years back in Arivaca.  I was told they get into trucks coming from other states and end up in AZ.  I've only heard of them being in Southern Arizona.

11 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

About 350

You're easy. I think there's an 80-proof minimum on that thing.

Fyi, there is a native subspecies of opossum in southern AZ.  It is darker than the opossum seen in the rest of the US.  

I have found the native ones in the Pajaritos and Santa Ritas.

I attached a pic of a native one that we saw roadkilled on the way up Mt Hopkins.  

14034.jpeg

• Like 3

Another interesting thing about opossum in Arizona.....many of you remember Jim White who made many great products for hunting, including his famed tripod head.  Well, I remember Jim telling me that his grandfather released non-native opossums in many locations in Arizona.  Apparently he just thought they were neat animals and so he captured them in Arkansas and released them in Arizona.  I have seen that information in research publications about opossums in Arizona too.  So there is a mix of native and non-native opossums in Arizona.  

• Like 2

Pine Donkey,

I shared your photo with a AGFD biologist who has researched opossum in AZ and he says the road kill you found is one of the native opossums, which is a subspecies of the possum found in the rest of the country.  The native one is called the Sonoran Opossum or Mexican Opossum and actually AGFD is interested in the location. And if it's not too smelly already, they are interested in getting the specimen.  I will PM you about it.  

• Like 1