Sign in to follow this  
mattys281

BLACKTAIL/BLACK BEAR COMBO ANYONE?

Still high on my rush of January success, I can't stand the idea of not bowhunting deer for a whole year, so I'm ready to drive. I put in for the bull elk draw here in Az, but knowing what those odds are, I'm already researching the back-up plan, which is a backcountry combo for blacktails & black bears in northern Cali. I've narrowed my prospective areas down to either the Trinity Alps WA or the Yolla Bolly. Both are known to produce trophy BTs & hold almost as many bruins as deer. The deer tags are first-come-first-serve and usually become available in June or July. Bag limit is two bucks. Not sure if you have to draw a bear tag, but I believe it is otc & first-come as well.

Anyhow, I'm looking to carpool if someone is interested. Even if you don't want to pack in, I could use some one to share the drive & gas cost. The Oregon Border is quite a haul from here afterall.

This is not something I'm considering, it's something that will happen, so please don't get my hopes up if its just a pipe-dream on your end. I'll be buying my CA license early as I'm hog hunting over there in Mar, but will be buying the deer tag as soon as it becomes available. The CA G&F dept told me to check back with them in May & they'd be able to tell me when the tags will be released (spoke to them yesterday). I would like anyone who agrees to go to pony up & buy their license early also as a sign of good faith. Non-res license in Ca is about $150.

Thanks.

Matt S.

Here's the Trinity Alps:

trinity_alps.jpg

Just to let you know...NR Licence = $129.40...NR deer 1st Tag=$219.20...NR deer 2nd Tag=$219.20...NR Bear Tag=$220.00

I would like to go but i have a new one on the way due in July. Good luck in your venture. Maybe next year.

Definitely interested if I don't draw anything. I only put in for primo deer and elk hunts in AZ, NM, and UT. and I drew AZ antelope last year, so possibility is good that I will not draw also.

Where are you hog hunting. I've been a couple times in CA and it is a BLAST.

Definitely interested if I don't draw anything. I only put in for primo deer and elk hunts in AZ, NM, and UT. and I drew AZ antelope last year, so possibility is good that I will not draw also.

Where are you hog hunting. I've been a couple times in CA and it is a BLAST.

I've been swapping e-mails w/ a guy in Ca that is a bowhunting machine. He & a couple other AT.com users have suggested Lake Sonoma, so I'm planning on heading there. Supposed to be one of the better public land spots from what I hear. He's also one of the guys who suggest the Trinity Alps. He shot a monster BT in there a couple years ago.

Matt S.

I hunted the Tejon Ranch. You can't tell it's a ranch though, it's the size of Rhode Island. 1/4 million acres and only one hour North of LA.

P1010870.jpg

P1010871.jpg

I know a few guys over there that have done the same deer/bear hunt.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/index....=117861&hl=

I'm down. We should start a coues WT smackdown blacktail hunt! I'll drive if you get the gas. No B.S.

I'm also down,

We can split the cost however suits. I'm faithful to a stickbow. Throw a little curve ball in your hunt. I'll do some research, let me know and I'll buy my Ca tag pronto.

Thanks,

Jay

Jayphotoarizona@yahoo.com

I hunted the Tejon Ranch. You can't tell it's a ranch though, it's the size of Rhode Island. 1/4 million acres and only one hour North of LA.

P1010870.jpg

P1010871.jpg

JEff, what are you doing laying on your stomach for these pictures :D

I'm down. We should start a coues WT smackdown blacktail hunt! I'll drive if you get the gas. No B.S.

Coues WT Smack Down Blacktail Hunt.

I like that title. Has a nice ring to it, I should have spoke to you before makin this post.

I map quested it from Phoenix to Carrville Ca, the closest town I can find to the Trinity Alps & get just under a thousand miles. The Yolly Bolly WA is a bit closer & further to the south. The Trinity is supposed to be very popular with both hikers & hunters, but it's over 500,000 acres vs. the 180k of the Yolla Bolly. I'm leaning towards the Trinity's.

As for the time frame , exact dates aren't available yet, but the season usually runs from the end of Aug thru the middle of Sept, at which time the rifle season begins. Bowhunters in Ca can continue to hunt during the rifle season, but obviously you're going to get a lot more company. I'm planning on taking the two weeks in Sept. I figure that if I take off two weeks, that gives 3 weekends for a total of sixteen days. Even w/ 3 or 4 guys tag-teaming the drive, we'll still lose a full day each way & when someone kills, they're going to have to get it to cold storage somewhere.

I think 4 guys sounds like a good number. Everyone can fit easily into one vehicle. I've got a Nissan Rogue that I could have a tow package put on to pull a small trailer. It gets about 30 mpg, so w/ a lite-weight trailer I don't expect it would do worse than 25 which at $3/gal for gas would turn into about $60 apiece for a 2,000 mile round trip. Of course there will be extra gas consumed to get your kill to cold storage until everyone else is either tagged-out, defeated by the mountain, or just out of time. It's only fair to expect everyone to cover their own meat-handling expenses. Maybe a big cooler full of dry-ice could be an alternative, but you have to understand that if you pack back in & leave it at the trailhead, your counting on no tree-huggers coming along & screwing with it while your gone.

Actually, that brings me to another point. You guys that say you're interested, are you interested in packing it in, or hunting from the road? I'm packing in regardless of what others do.

I'm buying my Ca license this coming week & will be doing some more research. I'll post some more info later.

Matt S.

I looked into the Tejon & a couple others. Most said that they required a reservation months in advance. I really hadn't planned on a hog hunt, but I've recently accepted a job offer back up in Prescott, so I'll be taking off the week between leaving my old job & starting the new. Obviously, I can't take off an entire week without hunting something, so Lake Sonoma, here I come.

Matt S.

You guys should check out C. Hanes' book "Bowhunting Trophy Blacktail". South Cox writes a section of the book on hunting the country that you're looking at. It is pretty informative (if you haven't already read).

RS

You guys should check out C. Hanes' book "Bowhunting Trophy Blacktail". South Cox writes a section of the book on hunting the country that you're looking at. It is pretty informative (if you haven't already read).

RS

Got it last week & am reading it right now.

It's a good read.

There are some slammer bucks in the Trinity Alps Wilderness....bring a bear tag as well. All I do is bowhunt, so I've been in there during the August season when they are in bachelor herds in the wide open bowls.......best time to hunt them , IMO.

Hey Matt, just like BOHNTR said, i'd look at the opener in August instead of September.

DesertBull, i thought you were gonna hunt Oregon this year, you know there's no deer over here in CA...just hippies and ground squirrels. :blink: