DeathFromBelow

6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm mag

Getting ready for my bear hunt and deciding which rifle I should use. I have lots of options but have narrowed it down to two contenders. 

Got the hunt at a charity auction and have talked with the rancher who donated it. I was told my shot would be between 300-400 yards. A 300 lbs bear is big for this area so I probably won't be looking through my scope at a 500 lbs bruin. 

So 6.5 Creedmoor with 140 grain accubond. Savage 10 Precision Rifle topped with 6-24×50mm Leupold vs Browning 7mm with 160 grain accubond topped with 4-16×40 Leupold. 

Those are the options. Lets hear what you think. Thanks. 

I'd go 7mm mag. The 6.5 should get the job done, but I'd prefer to hit it hard and put it down. Bears tend to not bleed much and tracking a bear would suck.

I'd take the 7RM for a better chance of an exit hole, and its 4x on the low end of the scope power for greater FOV when hunting close.

• Like 1

Well since I shot a 400 pound bear at 600 yards with 6.5, You know my answer.  Here is the key.... first shot I missed due to wind but since 6.5 does not kick I saw where my bullet hit and corrected.  I used a 139 lapua scenar and it went clear through...

• Like 1

Whatever gun you have the most confidence in and shoot the best!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DeathFromBelow said:

" A 300 lbs bear is big for this area so I probably won't be looking through my scope at a 500 lbs bruin." 

So I guess you will be passing on anything bigger if you use the Creedmoor?

4 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

4 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Creedmoor is moor than capable of taking a 500 bear.  People kill 800 elk and elk are far far tougher to kill than bear.  

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor.  I sold my 300 weatherby.  Nuff said 

Well shoot, if davehc130 says "nuff said", the rest of us should tuck our tails between our legs and walk away. 

I swear you must be going for a record of how many stupid posts one guy can make in a short time. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MogollonMan said:

Well shoot, if davehc130 says "nuff said", the rest of us should tuck our tails between our legs and walk away. 

I swear you must be going for a record of how many stupid posts one guy can make in a short time. 

Stupid is saying a 6.5 creed won’t kill a 500 bear.... here’s your sign.  Of course I was stating my preferenace.  You can shoot what you want.  460 rugby.  What ever but a 6.5 Creedmoor is plenty for bear... maybe you should study up on energy and BC.... later princes 

This is coming from shooting my first bear this weekend. I used a Remington 7mm shooting 150 grain core-lokt. Quartering away from above, hit him in the shoulder @ 167 yards, dropped in his tracks. I heard/witnessed lots of bears getting shot or shot at. All were 4-8 round flurries. Don't know all the details but shoot the biggest gun you are comfortable with. From what I witnessed this weekend bears are one tough SOB. 

18 hours ago, Red Rabbit said:

I'd take the 7RM for a better chance of an exit hole, and its 4x on the low end of the scope power for greater FOV when hunting close.

They are both Accubonds so the expansion will be similar. They have nearly identical SDs so they should both penatrate about the same so you should get an exit hole with either bullet. 

The 7 will just hit them a little harder and have a larger wound channel. 

Take the one you shoot best  

• Like 1