deercrazy

Hunting with Suppressors

So I'm not the most worldly guy, but I just watched 3 or 4 hunting shows that everyone was using s suppressed rifle.  What is the advantage of that?  Most shots were 300 yards or less and then the whispered "hurrah" after the shot.  From my past experience, when you shoot, and scream with joy, there ain't nothin left in 2 counties!  but who cares, your buck is right where you dropped it in it's tracks.  Ok, let me have it.

theres a few reasons  to hunt with supressors

number one is because you LEGALLY CAN.

other plus are you dont destroy your ears thats tied with number one. hunting yotes allows your to stay in a stand longer.

A lot of guys says it dramatically reduces recoil and yes your ears.  Seems like a win win 

• Like 3

You forgot about the cool factor Woody!!

Image result for looking cool gif

I have several and they are all super duper cool. What is the purpose of having something if it can't be envied? Right?

I don't have any on my big game rifles as it is usually(hopefully) one shot and done and I put plugs in. Plus I have no desire to pack that weight. Out predator hunting though they are pretty indispensable(in my opinion). I hate wearing muffs and I won't shoot without protection. There are also several actual hunting advantages in using them as well (still talking predators). Outside of a few hundred yards nobody and nothing will know you pulled the trigger.

You would be hard pressed to find ANYONE who has ever hunted with one that would go back to hunting without them.

Still dang hard to swallow the cost and wait time though (I say this as I have another one in ATF jail).

• Like 1

We'll I gotta chime in on this one.  In full disclosure I'm a FFL 07/02, basically that means I'm a Licensed Firearms Dealer with a SOT Endorsement (which is I can make, buy and sell NFA items such as suppressors), because of my license I also don't have to pay the $200 NFA tax per item, but I have to pay $500 a year to ATF for that license.  That having been said, i'll move on.

Oh and worth mentioning, if you were hunting with me and had a can with me and my company "in NFA dealer jail" I would bring the can with me and you could use it while you're hunting and such as I am the FFL owner, I'm allowed to do this without issues, and ultimately I am in possession of the item.  After were done hunting I would take it back to the house and put it behind bars again.  If you didn't have a can in my jailcell chances are I'd bring a can from MY personal inventory for you to use while were hunting then naturally take it back with me.  During the hunt you would be talking to me about buying a can once you experienced shooting with them for the first time in the woods.

Suppressors weren't always legal here in AZ to hunt with until March 29, 2012 when HB 2728 was signed into law by Brewer.  Since then a whole new world has been opened up for us hunters allowing the use of suppressors for hunting.  For a few years after the law passed I didn't really even think of hunting with a can even though I had a couple, one time i went hunting yotes and grabbed a different rifle than I had intended which had a can on it, I didn't regret it best mistake I ever made.

PRO's & CON's:

PRO:

• Saves your hearing by reducing the noise of the gun when fired
  • Doesn't scare game as much as a non suppressed weapon, I've found that game sometimes doesn't move or just get's a tad alert but not like a normal non suppressed gun would
  • Reduces felt recoil by delaying the gas's exit from the barrel
  • Add's a really cool factor when hunting with hunting buddies
  • The Suppressor market is hurting for customers, there are some crazy awesome deals out there right now, example the silencerco deal that ended on 7/31 where you bought a can and got a can free.  I have to admit even as a FFL I even went a bit overboard and bought 3 more cans for my collection getting 3 for free.  LOL!
  • Groupings tend to be a bit tighter because recoil is less for the shooter
  • Did I mention the really cool factor

CON'S:

• Using a DI type system (typical AR platform type gas system) you will need an adjustable gas block to be installed or else you will likely get excessive gas blowback.  If you are going to use the can on that rifle a couple times a year don't sweat it, but if you are going to use it more often than say 40% or so spend the cash and have one installed or install one.
  • Can's will cause a change in the POI of the weapon, that change is generally repeatable from time to time.  Some companies will boast that it won't cause a POI shift, I laugh my A$$ off when I hear that.  Reality is ALL can's will cause a POI shift, some are just better than others when it comes down to it and it does vary gun to gun / caliber to caliber too.
    • EX:  My Sig SRD762TI-QD has various POI's between calibers and elevations.
      • rem 700, .308 is  1.2" down, .5" right
      • savage 300 win is 1.9 down, .7 left
      • Weatherby Mark V RC .257 WBY is 2.8" down, 1.4 left  
    • My results here are repeatable so I can always count on it to be the same when putting it on and taking it off
  • $200 one time tax stamp kinda sucks on top of the cost of the can
  • 6-9 month wait till you can enjoy the silence sucks even more, sadly nothing you can do about that.  Times are getting shorter across the board for the most part, but some of them are still longer waits.  The length of the delay is normally because the FBI background check is taking some time to come back, longer than average.
  • Can's are ADDICTING!  It's an extremely slippery slope once you get one of them, you WILL and I repeat YOU WILL buy more of them once you get your first one.

Other people can add pro's and con's here I'm sure, but one thing IS for sure... It's ADDICTING!  You've been warned.

On 9/1/2018 at 10:20 AM, AzDiamondHeat said:

I have several and they are all super duper cool. What is the purpose of having something if it can't be envied? Right?

I don't have any on my big game rifles as it is usually(hopefully) one shot and done and I put plugs in. Plus I have no desire to pack that weight. Out predator hunting though they are pretty indispensable(in my opinion). I hate wearing muffs and I won't shoot without protection. There are also several actual hunting advantages in using them as well (still talking predators). Outside of a few hundred yards nobody and nothing will know you pulled the trigger.

You would be hard pressed to find ANYONE who has ever hunted with one that would go back to hunting without them.

Still dang hard to swallow the cost and wait time though (I say this as I have another one in ATF jail).

Get a titanium can man, or better yet a SICO harvester.  You hardly notice the weight, it's 11 flipping ounces, that's NOTHING at the end of the day.

My GF has a harvester for her rifles, cause as with most girls they're "weight sensitive" when it comes to this stuff.  For me I'm ok with some added weight.

23 minutes ago, rszkutak said:

Get a titanium can man, or better yet a SICO harvester.  You hardly notice the weight, it's 11 flipping ounces, that's NOTHING at the end of the day.

My GF has a harvester for her rifles, cause as with most girls they're "weight sensitive" when it comes to this stuff.  For me I'm ok with some added weight.

I have a Harvester in jail.  ATF charged my card on December 10th.  I've been stuck in FBI background check since mid-May.  I was hoping to have the suppressor in time for my daughter's youth elk hunt 5 weeks from now, but I don't think that's going to be the case.  The Harvester was going to be key in reducing muzzle blast and felt recoil for her...two things for which she is particularly sensitive.

47 minutes ago, rszkutak said:

Well... any Coueswhitetail discounts out there?

42 minutes ago, 1uglydude said:

I have a Harvester in jail.  ATF charged my card on December 10th.  I've been stuck in FBI background check since mid-May.  I was hoping to have the suppressor in time for my daughter's youth elk hunt 5 weeks from now, but I don't think that's going to be the case.  The Harvester was going to be key in reducing muzzle blast and felt recoil for her...two things for which she is particularly sensitive.

I beleieve you on the recoil aspect and such, sadly I also beleieve you on when they “cashed the check / charged the card”.  What I find hard to beleieve is that it took 6 months to go to fbi for backround check, that’s extremly odd.  They are usually off to fbi within 45-60 days +/-.

I have a customer who had gotten me to do a few transfers for him and he has an item In NFA jail with me, his item went pending like nov 20 last year. As of a couple weeks ago it’s still pending backround check with fbi.  The transfers he’s done with me he’s always been delayed and hit the Brady date, if you fall into the “always delayed” category the fbi check will sadly take longer. 

Last year the states average time for a NFA transfer on a form 4 was about 9-10 months, being that it was charged on dec 10 it might be mid month to end of the month.  You can call the NFA branch and give them the serial to get a status of the form 4.  Once it’s approved it takes about 7-14 days for the dealer to get the stamp. 

26 minutes ago, cjl2010 said:

Well... any Coueswhitetail discounts out there?

I can’t say that I can do XXX discount on anything because profit margins are between sucky to crap to literally losing money on firearms.  Some product lines have very strict minimum pricing policies like sig, glock etc, while others like ruger do not have a map price. 

In the current market more so in NFA (suppressors) some places have amazing deals on cans, sometimes better than my cost on them in the first place.  

Capitol armory comes to mind with someone who sells cans at good prices and sometimes is right at or close to cost, but you’ll have to pay for the transfer at the dealer like you would any firearm but NFA items are a bit more money.  

If you find a can you like feel free to shoot me a PM and I’ll check on the cost of it for you.  I also search online as well to see what others are selling it for.  If it’s only a couple bucks more I’ll tell you to get it from there and save the sales tax which I have to charge you.  

A great example of the lack of profit in firearms is a ruger 10/22. I don’t recall the sku off the top of my head for this model as it was a couple months ago I did a price shop on it.  It was a basic synthetic 10/22 that you could buy at sportsman’s or wherever for about 229-239 or so. My cost on it was 224.90 before shipping.  For $5 more I’d tell you to go to sportsman’s or wherever and get it right now as opposed to me ordering it.   Another example is last year a dealer in Vegas had a blowout sale on some surefre Ryder 22A suppressors, they were selling them for $199 and free shipping.  I went to check out my cost on them, it was $209 at sports south (wholesaler). 

• Like 1

Nice man. All kidding aside I’m almost ready to make a purchase. All we need are passport pics.

What a bunch of hoops to jump through for something so simple. I’m sure like all great things patience will be rewarded.

3 minutes ago, cjl2010 said:

Nice man. All kidding aside I’m almost ready to make a purchase. All we need are passport pics.

What a bunch of hoops to jump through for something so simple. I’m sure like all great things patience will be rewarded.

Tried to pm you. Think your box is full. I took a spill in the lake and no longer have your #.  Shoot me a text or pm me  

10 minutes ago, cjl2010 said:

The hoops aren’t bad at all, I don’t even really consider them hoops.  Costco for the passport photos is the cheapest in town that I’ve found, fingerprints aren’t hard either.  I’ve got a large list of places that do them.