deercrazy

Hunting with Suppressors

1 hour ago, rszkutak said:

The hoops aren’t bad at all, I don’t even really consider them hoops.  Costco for the passport photos is the cheapest in town that I’ve found, fingerprints aren’t hard either.  I’ve got a large list of places that do them. 

I guess not so much hoops, more inconveniences and long wait times.

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Tried to pm you. Think your box is full. I took a spill in the lake and no longer have your #.  Shoot me a text or pm me  

Now it says you can’t receive messages. 

I have bought 2 silencers from silencershop.com.   They had the best price I could find on both.  They make the process as easy as it can possibly be.  They have dealers who are set up with machines in their gun stores.  This machine, takes your picture and fingerprints and sends them to silencershop.com.  The hardest part of the process was setting up my trust, but even that was super easy, just took a trip to the bank to get notarized.  Oh did I mention, there is no transfer fees when you go pick up your silencers.  My wait time was about 9 months. 

• Like 1

Rancillo is a member on here that sells suppressors and is a super good dude. I’ve asked him about a 1000 questions and he never made a ln issue out of it. 

3 hours ago, rszkutak said:

Get a titanium can man, or better yet a SICO harvester.  You hardly notice the weight, it's 11 flipping ounces, that's NOTHING at the end of the day.

My GF has a harvester for her rifles, cause as with most girls they're "weight sensitive" when it comes to this stuff.  For me I'm ok with some added weight.

I have titanium.  Just not worth packing the extra weight for one shot. Especially when I have plenty of time to put plugs in and I don't need to hear the deer.  

3 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

I have bought 2 silencers from silencershop.com.   They had the best price I could find on both.  They make the process as easy as it can possibly be.  They have dealers who are set up with machines in their gun stores.  This machine, takes your picture and fingerprints and sends them to silencershop.com.  The hardest part of the process was setting up my trust, but even that was super easy, just took a trip to the bank to get notarized.  Oh did I mention, there is no transfer fees when you go pick up your silencers.  My wait time was about 9 months. 

That kiosk is awesome, it does so much for the consumer it’s amazing.  The downside with the kiosk is on the dealer side, the cost of it is substantial unless you’re a silencershop premiere dealer (or whatever that too teir level is that they have).  If you don’t do enough transfers from them and or aren’t powered by silencer shop or something the kiosk is about $10k or so.

Dealers who are “powered by silencershop” have to agree in a contract that they can’t charge a transfer fee for the suppressor that comes in from them, on the backside the dealer gets a check from them for 50 bucks I think.  So ya you don’t pay for a transfer Per say, but also as an educated consumer you should always weigh price options when making a purchase.  If a dealer had it for 200 less than silencershop I’d go there and pay the NFA transfer fee.  

silencershop has some awesome prices at times and other times their prices aren’t so great.  

On 9/6/2018 at 5:50 PM, rszkutak said:

I beleieve you on the recoil aspect and such, sadly I also beleieve you on when they “cashed the check / charged the card”.  What I find hard to beleieve is that it took 6 months to go to fbi for backround check, that’s extremly odd.  They are usually off to fbi within 45-60 days +/-.

I have a customer who had gotten me to do a few transfers for him and he has an item In NFA jail with me, his item went pending like nov 20 last year. As of a couple weeks ago it’s still pending backround check with fbi.  The transfers he’s done with me he’s always been delayed and hit the Brady date, if you fall into the “always delayed” category the fbi check will sadly take longer. 

Last year the states average time for a NFA transfer on a form 4 was about 9-10 months, being that it was charged on dec 10 it might be mid month to end of the month.  You can call the NFA branch and give them the serial to get a status of the form 4.  Once it’s approved it takes about 7-14 days for the dealer to get the stamp. 

I spoke to an assistant branch chief at ATF back on July 30th because all the hotline people had been able to tell me for two months was "pending FBI."  The chief I spoke to was very nice and informative.  She said that most applications don't even get considered for FBI background check for about 5 months.  She also said that some applications will get flagged for special consideration by the FBI and it has nothing to do with the person or the application, it's just a random selection....kind of like the "random" TSA selection for extra inspection.  When that happens, it adds an EXTRA 4-5 months to the application.  The wildcard is whether or not the FBI gets inundated with standards NCIS background checks during that time (i.e. holidays, post-mass shootings, etc.)  because those background checks get priority.  They need to respond within 3 days on the standard transfers, whereas there is no deadline on requests from ATF.  So, if volume goes up, the ATF requests sit dormant until they have more time.

She told me that my application had gone to the FBI on May 21, and that as of July 30 they were getting responses from the FBI on applications they sent over on March 19.

1 hour ago, 1uglydude said:

I spoke to an assistant branch chief at ATF back on July 30th because all the hotline people had been able to tell me for two months was "pending FBI."  The chief I spoke to was very nice and informative.  She said that most applications don't even get considered for FBI background check for about 5 months.  She also said that some applications will get flagged for special consideration by the FBI and it has nothing to do with the person or the application, it's just a random selection....kind of like the "random" TSA selection for extra inspection.  When that happens, it adds an EXTRA 4-5 months to the application.  The wildcard is whether or not the FBI gets inundated with standards NCIS background checks during that time (i.e. holidays, post-mass shootings, etc.)  because those background checks get priority.  They need to respond within 3 days on the standard transfers, whereas there is no deadline on requests from ATF.  So, if volume goes up, the ATF requests sit dormant until they have more time.

She told me that my application had gone to the FBI on May 21, and that as of July 30 they were getting responses from the FBI on applications they sent over on March 19.

That makes some sense, sadly.

Ya know the 3 day thing isn't correct, FBI has to get back to the dealer in 5 business days on a transfer if it's in a delayed status.  They need to give the approve or deny response within that timeframe, after the 5 days it's an automatic proceed as outlined in the portion of the brady bill that's still in effect today.  As a dealer if we get a delayed status we are given the NTN number (tracking number for the check), the agent who was doing the deeper backround check, and a brady transfer date.  I'm a FFL.