bojangles

hunting map apps, gps

Are any of you guys using hunt map apps on your phone to replace the gps?

Does it work when you don't have signal?

I'm looking for something that is iphone compatible, that would save having to carry a gps, since i usually have my phone with me anyways.

8 minutes ago, bojangles said:

Are any of you guys using hunt map apps on your phone to replace the gps?

Does it work when you don't have signal?

I'm looking for something that is iphone compatible, that would save having to carry a gps, since i usually have my phone with me anyways.

On x maps. Not to replace a GPS though. No they don't work if you don't have a signal. You have to save them to youse when there is no service.

• Like 1

on x map will not work without a cell signal you need to download the area you want to go into in a place with a cell signal before you go into a place without coverage. I have on x but I am going to buy a year of the routing app Gaia and compare the two then get rid of the one I like the least. I also have a Garmin gps and would never leave it at home.

• Like 1

Why not to replace the GPS?  I have on x, in reach explorer, and GPS.  The one feature I hate to lose is range where I shot an animal, point and click and the GPS will tell me when I get to that spot.  But other then that im not sure what the benifit is to keep it when i have two other devices.  

• Like 2

Avenza PDF works good, download maps prior

Gaia gps is another app I use, works good. I've downloaded all of Arizona to my phone

• Like 2

Yes, I download the area right before the hunt then delete afterwards. Seemed like when I download areas my phone would get a bit glitchy. 

• Like 1

Onx on my I phone is all I use now. 

Yes you can use it without any signal but yes you just download the area you want ahead of time and save it then use airplane mode when your out and it is a gps and maps and you can track yourself and Mark gps locations. You can also easily drop a pin location to another onx user. Not sure about signal on that one but guessing you would need it to send a pin. 

One of the things I like is when I log into it on my computer I have all my markers right there automatically transferred and I can add them there as well and they come up on my phone.  I love it and it's all I use now. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Onx on my I phone is all I use now. 

Yes you can use it without any signal but yes you just download the area you want ahead of time and save it then use airplane mode when your out and it is a gps and maps and you can track yourself and Mark gps locations. You can also easily drop a pin location to another onx user. Not sure about signal on that one but guessing you would need it to send a pin. 

One of the things I like is when I log into it on my computer I have all my markers right there automatically transferred and I can add them there as well and they come up on my phone.  I love it and it's all I use now. 

cool.  thanks.

App for the phone.  I got the chip for my Garmin GPS. Was a little disappointed I thought it would have the satellite imagery as an option. 

• Like 1

been using ON X maps on my I-phone for about a year.   LOVE IT!!!!!!   I download some maps before hunts and have my phone, GPS, maps and camera all in one.     The biggest issue is you might want to put your phone on Airplane mode if you have poor cell coverage.   It will eat your battery searching for service if you don't.   You can also import way points from google earth into On X .    You can also use your desktop and place way points on the desktop and they will sync to your phone.    It is a great tool.   

I have used Gaia for a long time and have always liked it. Has tons of map layers but they have moved to a subscription bases for the full features. Yes it does work when you phone does not have signal, because GPS works off of satellites, not cell towers. You do just need to save the versions of the maps you want before you do go out into the woods. But all of the apps will always be able to track you when you don't have coverage. I put my phone on airplane mode and on battery saver mode and it will last all day while tracking my path that way.