Sign in to follow this  
Freakycamo

Unit 7 antelope

Been scouting in the government prairie area and haven't seen the size of herds that I thought was going to be up there. Has there been some disease or something going through that area. Trying to figure out why they're such a low number of antelope or maybe the drought had pushed them into other units?

Unit 7 is a massive unit With Antelope spread out from north to south from east to west.  Try looking further north and even into 7E.  I have not heard of any die off.  I know from my experience in the unit, the antelope that stay in the small meadows, often are in the trees right at sun up.

• Like 3

I know when there is lack of water they head into the trees.  Ive seen in unit 1 antelope by wildcat crossing in the trees.  They are probably 15 miles away from the large grass fields from big lake.   Just a guess though.  Why go that far into the trees??

• Like 1

I killed my one and only AZ. Lope on Gov. prarie  12 years ago. Back then was fair amount in there with some in near by woods. Good Luck..........BOB!

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:02 AM, Freakycamo said:

Been scouting in the government prairie area and haven't seen the size of herds that I thought was going to be up there. Has there been some disease or something going through that area. Trying to figure out why they're such a low number of antelope or maybe the drought had pushed them into other units?

How many points did you steal my tag with?

• Like 2

I got this tag with 16 points. I was thinking that i was going to see a lot of goats, but its been slow.

I talked to the ranger for this unit and he said that due to the green up not happening this spring that all the animals moved looking for food and water in the forest. now that the monsoon as been dumping all the water I  might have a chance for the October hunt, that is only if they return. he said that he has been doing fly overs and that he is not seeing the herds in the normal places.

thanks for the help

• Like 1

Take a drive around SP crater. Couple nice bucks between it and 89. Still about 6 or so years from drawing the tag so I don't mind giving the info.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, nateNAU said:

Take a drive around SP crater. Couple nice bucks between it and 89. Still about 6 or so years from drawing the tag so I don't mind giving the info.

You never know.  I have met people out in 7 that have draw that tag with 0 to 5 BPs.

I have seen lope in 7E as far south as saddle mountain, and as far north as headed into the flats north of Missouri bill hill. 

Only saw 2 does today. Most tanks have water and it is pretty green up there. The antelope are out there but sometimes hard to find. Also think powerlines. 

On 9/7/2018 at 9:03 AM, lancetkenyon said:

You never know.  I have met people out in 7 that have draw that tag with 0 to 5 BPs.

First time I ever applied for antelope was 7 with only the hunter ed bonus point. There were 4 of us on one application, all with 1 point. The bonus round then was 10% with 50 tags in the hunt. We were the next drawn after the bonus round.

• Like 2