Sign in to follow this  
Ingo

.243 Coues load

I'm not much of a rifle hunter but I drew a coues tag this year in unit 24a. I have a 7RemMag and a .243 Win as options to take with me. The .243 just shoots a lot better so I figured it would be fine. I've really only loaded coyote ammo for it in the past and with 70gr Nosler BTs or 87gr Hornady V-Max I have achieved sub-MOA in the .7-.8" average range at 100 yards. The rifle is a 1:10" twist Winchester M70 with a 22" barrel. The 7Mag is a 2MOA gun no matter what I load for it. I'm really kicking myself because I've had a project gun in .260Rem that has been in need of a bit of gunsmith work for the past several years but life has been in the way. It's got a 26" Shilen Select-Match barrel 1:8" twist. I was going to have it done before this hunt but it's too late at this point. 

The old standbys like the Sierra 85gr HPBT, the Sierra 100 grain GK and such might be where I start but I know there are a ton of newer bullets that I have no experience with. 

Anyone have any suggestions?

I would try the 80 grains for sure.  When in doubt you know you have those Nosler and Hornady loads that will work.  Coues aren't that big.  

Me and the kids have killed a lot of deer with 35.5 grains of IMR 3031 and a 100g Nosler Partition. 

Anything you choose will likely be fine. Good luck!

With the 1:10" twist, that is going g to limit you to some of the lighter bullets.  I would use the 100gr Sierra SBT Game King or 90gr Nosler Accubond.

100 gr. Remington core-Lokt

95 gr. Nosler ballistic tip

A Friend of mine was telling me that he was talking to a guy who worked for a company in the mid west who went into towns that were over run with Deer and plugged them. He said that they used a .243 with the 85 gr Sierra HPBT (1530), never lost one, and killed them grave yard dead.

I have been harvesting them with a .243 for 50 years.  mostly with 85s , 95s, 100s....( 60 and 70 will work).  the 243 is accurate and deadly. currently 95 partitions and re-26. lapua brass and 210m

My go to load for this kind of hunting is a 95 grain Berger VLD, with H-4350. Shoots great, and is very deadly! Best of luck!

• Like 1

Killed tons of critters with this load.   46 grains of 4831 and a 90gr Nosler Ballistic tip.   This will run out of your gun at 3100 FPS.   All the .243's we have shot this load out of have shot this load well under MOA.   

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm probably going to try either the Hornady 100gr Interlock BTSP or the Sierra GK 100gr BTSP. Looking at the numbers I think these bullets will work well inside of 500 yards. Now I just have to find some time to load and shoot. Have a new baby at home and spare time is nonexistent. 

I have about 20lbs of assorted powders to try with RL-17, A4350, IMR-4831, being the best fits in my war chest. Wish I had some slower burners but I'm going to try what I have first. 

Thanks again, everyone.