308Nut

Are there any decent bucks left in unit 21?

SO-

There are coues I've seen as far south as Gavilan Peak. One jumped my Ranger hood last week  - and they're heavy in New River Mesa/ Magazine Canyon. I've seen Mule Deer in 21 that made my jaw drop- and I have the tag for Nov for Mulies, but I'm not seeing them consistently. It's like it's 50 to 1 coues to Muley.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spots- I dunno. I was thinking Bloody Basin Road.

• Like 1

I have not hunted 21 for many years, but even then Bloody Basin was pretty high traffic.

I did find some valley's north of the road before you drop down the hill to the verde that were good though. We didnt' connect, but it was good country. Super tough country though.

308Nut - Hunted 21 the last two years, quite a bit of pressure in the Table Mesa Road/New River area in November, but December is different of course. Some big bucks in there, I've seen big boys running around in Late December and January.  

I'll be hunting south of the New River Mesa this November,  I'll let you know if I see anything big if you decide to hunt the NR Mesa area. 

I have hunted 21 a lot I think I can give you some helpful info PM sent

My 10 year old son has the December mule deer tag. Hope to find him a full frame mule deer.  Planning on the whole hunt up there with the exception of a few days.  

My non-resident buddy drew a late coues tag in here, I'll be helping and we're hunting last 5 days.  I'd be happy to share any info if we see a good muley to anyone who is hunting at that time.  PM me and perhaps we can at least get each other's #'s.

• Like 2

We have a few jr tags in there so there might be (3) less Muleys in the unit when we’re done. ;)

On a more serious note I’ve spoken to both WM’s of the unit and both have said the muley population is the worst they have seen it. They added (10) tags to the December hunt to take away from the general tag #’s. I’m not sure adding 10 tags to the Dec Hunt was a smart decision.

• Like 1

This unit is my stoppin grounds, hunted it for 35 years and honestly the mule deer numbers are hurtin really really bad! Too many general tags and the bucks never get a chance to mature. The mule deer that are left in the unit are in isolated pockets and it will take a lot of scouting to located them. It will be extremely tough to kill a buck over 150”!! The coues have taken over this unit and thriving. To be honest it may be tough to even find a mule deer buck! Best of luck but this is not the hunt it was years ago! 

I have a coues hunt in 21 Dec 2-10. I applied for this tag on a whim not having realizing how rough the area can be- silly I know. I’m a mobility impaired vet and want to make the best of this hunt. I can walk about 3/4 of a mile round trip if the terrain isn’t too bad and I take my time. I live about 2.5 hrs away and am going scouting tomorrow so info, tips, etc are insanely appreciated!  Thanks in advance! 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 3:29 PM, Jazz said:

SO-

There are coues I've seen as far south as Gavilan Peak. One jumped my Ranger hood last week  - and they're heavy in New River Mesa/ Magazine Canyon. I've seen Mule Deer in 21 that made my jaw drop- and I have the tag for Nov for Mulies, but I'm not seeing them consistently. It's like it's 50 to 1 coues to Muley.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spots- I dunno. I was thinking Bloody Basin Road.

Have you been in 21 recently and if so is this still the case?