Sign in to follow this  
azhuntnut

Swaro 12x50 or 15x56HD?

I think the 12x vs 15x comparison depends on use.  I have extensively reviewed both side by side as I own the 15hd and my brother in law owns the 12el.  The 12s are slightly brighter and clearer but there is a difference in magnification that my bro in law and I both agreed is noticable when looking for details, and not just at long range, we noticed it at closer ranges too.

If you plan to continue to use your 10s and don't mind carrying both, get the 15x.  If you want to carry only one pair and are willing to retire the 10s, get the 12s.

I plan to buy the 12s at some point in the future and will use my 10el, 12el, and 15slc hd all depending on the situation.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, win71 said:

Try LEICA 12X or 15X they are miles ahead of those Swarovski. Spend your money once and be forever satisfied. I have owned them all and it  is LEICA hands down above the rest.

Dan 

WHAT?!?! I think you fell and bumped your head!!

I went out with oz31p this evening and he was nice enough to meet me and bring out both pairs of binoculars for me to look through. I was surprised to see the difference between the two binoculars. The 12s were clearer and brighter than the 15s. I could see the 15s had the extra power, but I could still see the same objects. I think the 12s would work better for me. David

• Like 2

Comparison with your own eyes is really the only way to go.  I just bought a pair of 10 X 42 SLC's after carrying around  X 32's for ever.  I did not like the FOV and power at closer ranges I usually hunt out east.  Returned them for the 8 X 42's.  Now If I want something for out west I can get the 12 EL's:).

When we had 12x50 ELs and 15x56 SLCs (BTW: 15x Leica blows the socks off 15x56 SLC neu!) there was a clear winner.  The 12's all day. Since we upgraded to the 15x56 HDs its flip a coin. I like to carry the 12's or the 12's and a spotting scope. I like the lighter weight and wider field of view of the 12's. My son prefers the 15's. He likes the extra 3x (and you can tell the difference with the 3x). I just carry the 12's. He often carries both 8's and the 15's.

On 9/11/2018 at 12:03 PM, cjl2010 said:

Leica customer service alone will keep me buying the green ones.

I actually just had a terrific experience with Leica and my Geovid HDB's. One of the eye-cups had a crack in it, I have a hunt on friday. I made one phone call earlier today and the new pair of eye-cups will be here in the morning...If that isnt great customer service I dont know what is. On the other hand, I ordered Swaro 15HDs straight from them, took them out and couldn't get them focused correctly. Swaro kind of gave me crap about them being perfect and its just my eyes until I about yelled at them. Turns out something was wrong and they sent another pair. It wasnt easy. I think everyone has a different experience but I have had nothing but fantastic support from Leica. I still own both. 

• Like 2