Sign in to follow this  
Cell4soul

Swarovski EL 12x50

For those of you that have made the switch to the EL 12x50’s, do you find it difficult to hand hold these?  I am currently using Vortex Razor 12x50’s and think I am ready to upgrade my glass. I think the Razor 12x50’s are a little much to hand hold and wondering if the same would hold true for the Swaro’s; or, is the fact that they are better optics going to help with that.  Because I have been getting into backpack hunting, I really don’t want to carry a bunch of different optics so I can save weight and bulk in the pack. Thanks for any feedback. 

All glassing is greatly improved when tripod mounted. A 12x is very difficult to hand hold effectively for anything more than a quick look. For prolonged glassing you really should tripod mount

Are you looking to use them primarily as a hand hold bino or do you plan to mount to a tripod?

My 12x50 ELs are used 95% of the time on the tripod, but I have no problem getting to the top of a ridge and doing a quick 3-5 minute scan job by hand. That said, I would not use 12x50's for more than brief periods without a tripod, but that hold true for any of my binos.  You will maximize any bino efficiency (magnification or brand) when they are on a tripod. If you don't plan to use a tripod, I recommend stay at or under 10 power. The hand shake is what matters and makes it hard to pick up on animal movement. Their isn't a brand out the that can remove hand shake, which is amplified as you go up in magnification.

• Like 1

I would say most of my glassing is done with a tripod, probably 80-85%.  I have the Outdoorsmans medium tripod with the pistol grip.  That said, I do hand hold as well.  This is mostly if I am on the move to a new glassing spot or giving a quick look into an area before I hike through. 

• Like 1