Sign in to follow this  
Buckskinmule

In search of Civil engineer

Sorry not hunting related, I’m looking for an engineer to do a grading and drainage plan for an acre of property I’m preparing to build on. It’s an irrigated acre not in flood plain and in Maricopa County. I’ve had two individuals give me proposals and their fees were substantially varied, neither seemed to reflect the amount of work required and one was substantially higher then the other. Hopefully there are some engineers on here or someone that has had a recent experience and was happy with services rendered. I hope I’m not out of line utilizing this forum for this search, if I am let me know and I will remove it. Thanks

This is the dude you want to talk to

TC Fish

‭+1 (480) 390-5841‬

Tell him Andrew sent you.

• Like 1

Well still looking, I spoke to TC , great guy but he has relocated to northern Az and didn’t feel like he would be able to do the job down here. He did enlighten me as to what I should expect to pay for this particular type of job and as I suspected the two proposals I have are considerably out of line. Not saying they are gouging but they are definitely taking full advantage of the current market. Thanks again for the referral.

Keep looking and don't get frustrated. Find somebody with the PE stamp, working out of their house with no overhead. I'm in Tucson and probably of no help, but the last one I did, about a year ago...I beat the pavement soliciting proposals and got a huge range of prices. The guy I used was 20% of the cost of the highest bid. In this market, people are just slinging prices to see what sticks.

Thanks,I will and I would agree with your assessment, I have now received 3 proposals,the variations in price have no common denominator and vary literally by thousands not hundreds,for a single irrigated acre.

Brad Gruver may be able to help you.  Meets awatson's standard. He mostly works scottsdale projects but worth a shot. 4805024870.  You can mention you received his number from Chris the tall builder.  

The market is what it is.  

At the moment, Civil PE’s aren’t likely cheap, starving, or even a little hungry.... nor will be home building contractors or labor.  

The amount of work required for a PE doesn’t matter.  The amount of time to do what you want done vs. other billable hours is what matters.  

I’ll translate for you....  a silly high price means “go away, you’re not worth my time”.  

As a side note, selection or offerance of professional civil engineering services based on price isn’t legal, last time I checked.  

Good luck.  

They are never cheap and most are know it all a holes. Worst people to do work for or with. ..... Good luck. Only thing close to as bad is Architects. . Not just complaining but talking from exp. as a Contractor or working for one for 35 years in the Valley...............BOB!

Please let me know if you find one. I need some work related to this as well.

4 hours ago, MattMan said:

The market is what it is.  

At the moment, Civil PE’s aren’t likely cheap, starving, or even a little hungry.... nor will be home building contractors or labor.  

The amount of work required for a PE doesn’t matter.  The amount of time to do what you want done vs. other billable hours is what matters.  

I’ll translate for you....  a silly high price means “go away, you’re not worth my time”.  

As a side note, selection or offerance of professional civil engineering services based on price isn’t legal, last time I checked.  

Good luck.  

Most of what is said here is spot on, except for the last part.  If it is a publicly funded project then the engineer is selected based on qualifications, not price.  If it's your money you can do whatever you want with it.

Not all civil engineers or architects are know it alls, I certainly don't think I know everything.

Make sure you get a PE, every single one registered in the state can be looked up on the state board of technical registration website.

Make sure they know the permit process for your jurisdiction.

Most good engineers are slammed right now so you will likely spend a premium.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I work with a few PEs and they are expensive.  Try to look at it as money well spent.  If you're a one and done client, you will likely pay more than the people that use them a lot.  I work for a company that uses them a lot and some of the RFIs I get from them are no charge.  That doesn't mean I can bring my personal needs to them and expect them to comp what they do, I wouldn't even ask it of them.  

One trick that works for me is to sketch out what I need and make some notes of my ideas and propose that to them.  If it works, they can stamp it.  If not, they generate their own from my sketch.  You can use a site plan for this.  Any information you can put together like inverts, rim, and finish floor elevations, fixture count, and existing sizes of pipe diameters and distances.  Try to include grade elevations as well.  Also include utility locations and evevations if necessary.  That helps with a lot of the thinking they have to do to generate a plan.  It makes it faster for them.  That works for anything Engineering like Structural, Mechanical, Civil etc.