lamrith

glassing equipment recommendations.

15 minutes ago, PowellSixO said:

Rent these, and you'll be set. Only problem is you'll want a pair for yourself after you use them.

That is the problem, last thing I want or can afford to do is tinker with top tier gear when I cannot afford the neck strap for it.  It's like renting a ferrari, when all you can afford is a 5yr old honda.  🤣

Shared PM's with a member here a bit lastnight plus the info in this thread, really has me thinking about 15x binos.  

I have seen a few posts here were people really like these, and I am thinking it might be a really good option?  Some even said they prefer them over the Viper 15x50 (which btw seem discontinued now?) for a binos to keep in pack for use with a tripod due to better low light performance?

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-vulture-hd-15x56-binocular

12 hours ago, lamrith said:

Got the PM's guys thanks!!

I do not plan on moving every hour or anything like that.  but I want to get to a decent spot with lots of land to glass, and not have to worry about if it is 200yrd or 1000yrds that I have to scan.  I see a number of people recommending 15x.  Is that sort of the "do-all" power that works well in coues country, as in that is all you take, even when you have other options available?  It seems a bit light to me, which is why I ask.

I really appreciate the info guys, just trying to get a full handle on it.

I do take a pair of 10x42 ELs as well and will use them on the tripod as well but I spend 90% of my time with my 15s. For judging 15s are usually plenty unless you need to be able to tell a 105" buck from a 110" buck at 1500 yds.

2 minutes ago, dse said:

I do take a pair of 10x42 ELs as well and will use them on the tripod as well but I spend 90% of my time with my 15s. For judging 15s are usually plenty unless you need to be able to tell a 105" buck from a 110" buck at 1500 yds.

That honestly is some really great practical info for me in my situation.  Only reason I will have to "grade" anything is if I have multiple on the same hillside I need to choose between.  Honestly this year #1 is identifying and verifying legal, I passed on a spike opening evening of the last hunt and we never saw another deer the rest of the trip, not even a doe. 

3 hours ago, lamrith said:

That is the problem, last thing I want or can afford to do is tinker with top tier gear when I cannot afford the neck strap for it.  It's like renting a ferrari, when all you can afford is a 5yr old honda.  🤣

Shared PM's with a member here a bit lastnight plus the info in this thread, really has me thinking about 15x binos.  

I have seen a few posts here were people really like these, and I am thinking it might be a really good option?  Some even said they prefer them over the Viper 15x50 (which btw seem discontinued now?) for a binos to keep in pack for use with a tripod due to better low light performance?

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-vulture-hd-15x56-binocular

I've had a pair of vulture hd's before. They were 10x, but they were decent for the price. I'd imagine the 15's might be pretty decent. If you can swing it, try and find a pair of used Kaibab HD's. 

Sorry, I have not had a chance to get back on the forum and update the thread.  A member clued me into a source for Vortex factory refurbs yesterday.  I am betting many of you know of the source, but yes I kept it quiet while I was debating options because the pricing was very good and supplies are limited.  🤣  It's a darn good thing to!

I picked up a pair of Vortex factory refurb Vulture 15x56's for a complete steal, so cheap in fact that I added a refurb Viper 15-45x65 spotter as well and all for $675 shipped.  The Vultures were the last set they had.  I will sell my 12x50's to offset the extra $ once I get the new glass in my hands.

I have to extend a big thanks to all of you here that posted guidance and info and also those that PM'd me directly.  This site really is a great resource and group of people, I only come on every few years when I draw this hunt, but every time it is a great experience.

• Like 1

I run 15x56 s a waro h d’s also. All I run . Have not found a need for a spotter. Don’t need the extra weight in the pack. I just need to make sure it’s a legal animal.