Sign in to follow this  
packerman696

6a bull rifle nov 30-dec 6

thank you to who ever reads this going to start off saying this is my first rifle elk hunt have gone bow before but never rifle.. using my rem 7 mag.. hoping some one could help me out with good areas to be in my father lives in munds park but im told its better to stay further south during the nov 30-to dec 6 hunt. any info would be greatly appreciated.. plan on having my pu and 26 foot trailer with me and ranger also dont mind areas that i have to hike deep into or an area i can drive the ranger back and hike from thank you !!!! 

It has a lot to do with the weather is my guess, just like most of the units up that way. If it is cold and has decent snow they will probably move to lower elevations. If no snow, then they could be anywhere. Try and scout a couple times in November before the hunt. Scouting now isn't very beneficial except to learn the lay of the land if you are not familiar with the areas.

Get away from the roads, get up high, and glass. That is your best strategy to me.

Harley

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Red Rabbit said:

Apache Maid will be a zoo.

Always is but if a heavy snow hits just get south of there and youll see the elk pouring through there to the lower elevations 

Wife has Muzzy Bull hunt ends Nov 22 hit me up then and ill pass on info ! 

• Thanks 1

just go to the nasty canyons...the big bulls are looking to get away from the cows and just recover...get a decent set of glass and MUST GET TRIPOD...sit your butt on a lookout and glass glass glass.....on the late hunt if your spot a bull he will not move much and you can develop a plan to move in on him....fossel creek, wet beaver....they will both have big bulls in them....you just need to find them and have a good pack to debone and haul out the meat, cape and rack....You might want to precoordinate with someone that has mules to help haul it out...

• Thanks 1

been scouting the past few weekends tons of cows no bulls yet im getting up high with my tripod and glassing been on the roads of 80A between sedona and the i17 i have been using onx so a mark every area. looking for any advice willing to put in the work have been out alot glassing and only cows cows cows and 12 lope appreciate anything in advance

I dont know if 6a is the same as 7e, but in 7e I used to see more bulls at lower elevations then where I would see the cows. 

Harley