kazpilot25

2018 Bugling Bulls

I’m heading out of town here shortly for elk camp and wanted to check for reports of if they’ve started up the bugling chaos yet or not. With this heat I’m assuming the second week should be much better and they should be more fired up. 

I’ve heard of some bugling here and there in 10 and 3c, but definitely not fired up yet. What have you all heard so far?

It's been quiet and HOT in 4B...with an occasional bugle. The forecast is for clouds, chance of rain, and cooler middle of next week, which should get it going. The fall equinox/estrus is the 22nd, but also a full moon. Hopefully there will be enough cloud cover to squelch the full moon affect. At any rate, we will have a blast in the elk woods.

• Like 2

^^ I hope so. I was there last weekend. One week can make a difference.

Last weekend 6b they were bugling all night , lotta a barking soon as sun came up it was silent .

• Like 1

In 8, I haven't heard them open up into full out bugles.  Lotsa other vocalization.  Wallows stinking mightily.  I stalked in on one elk just using my nose.  Found him and got within 40 yards of him.  He was standing under a juniper with his head held low watching me.  The antlers were up in the juniper and not visible, but he looked very healthy, just super stinky.  

Last night, I spent most of the night and morning in a blind.  Partially because it is the last day of deer archery, but I haven't seen much Muleys in this particular area. What I did know, I'd be in the center of the rut.  Well, they were fighting.  Boy were they fighting.  Sounded like vehicles flying off an interstate into the trees.  I listened to them fighting and tearing stuff up for hours, but not a single bugle.  I had one collared 6x6 come in to my blind and stood less than 10 feet from me staring at me, but can't see me through the no-see-um mesh.  After a couple minutes he walked back up the hill to rejoin the fight.  Fighting lasted until about 9 am.

• Like 5

In 21 last weekend they very vocal in the early morning

10 last week we heard them. Saw one big bull that was already starting to make some noise. 

Got a feeling its about to get good. Good luck everyone who has tags gunna be a fun time to be in the woods the next few weeks.

10 hours ago, Viper said:

It's been quiet and HOT in 4B...with an occasional bugle. The forecast is for clouds, chance of rain, and cooler middle of next week, which should get it going. The fall equinox/estrus is the 22nd, but also a full moon. Hopefully there will be enough cloud cover to squelch the full moon affect. At any rate, we will have a blast in the elk woods.

Quit sandbagging. Everyone knows what’s going on up in 4B.

Was in 4A for archery deer last weekend. Didn't see any deer, but one antelope in the forest, 2 bear sightings, and a dozen elk. All the bulls I saw were still in velvet, but did find a few fresh rubs.  Had a close encounter with a bull on Saturday just before sunset and he got vocal. one bugle in the middle of the night, and about 30 minutes of bugling at sunrise. It's get.ting close

Went up to Woods Canyon Lake Tuesday afternoon with my son to camp overnight and could hear a few weak bugles around sunset and then again in the  morning heard a few more from the same bull. Never saw any though. I have a 22 Turkey Tag so I will probably be in there Sunday and for the new few weekends looking for them. Hope to see/hear some bulls.