davehc130

Min draw weight for elk

Why don’t you just let us know what you saw in the field that offended you enough to take to your interweb soap box. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Why don’t you just let us know what you saw in the field that offended you enough to take to your interweb soap box. 

nothing...just wondered what other people's experience was for penetration with different bow weights....

Was 40 pounds but it might even be less , I think they lowered it.   all about shot placement..

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Was 40 pounds but it might even be less , I think they lowered it.   all about shot placement..

Sorry I should have been clearer. Not legal poundage of ethical poundage.  As in would you not shoot an expandable under XX pounds for elk... etc

When Paige (my older daughter who was a 3 time AZ state 3D champion including the Triple Crown in her age groups)  was 12, she took a cow elk with her bow.  40# limbs, but with her draw length, it was a 38# bow.  Cut on contact broadheads on light carbon arrows, the arrow was almost a complete passthrough @ 22 yards.  Arrow held in by the fletchings when the cow took off.  Double lung, no ribs.  Cow went 30 yards.  Also took a sheep @ 56 yards with the same setup.  That was a crazy hunt.

20150429_203444_zpsa9rnfz7n_edit_1430366

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I shoot 80# and that should be the min. Being a small guy like myself that’s all I can pull. Of course knowing my distance and shot placement is key! Anything less is just uncivilized.

That’s good to know I was concerned about dropping down to 80!!

My father-in-law used to tell everyone he pulled 140# during archery season.  Then he would point at me and say, "I pull his scrawny butt all over the place".  I miss that guy every day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

When Paige (my older daughter who was a 3 time AZ state 3D champion including the Triple Crown in her age groups)  was 12, she took a cow elk with her bow.  40# limbs, but with her draw length, it was a 38# bow.  Cut on contact broadheads on light carbon arrows, the arrow was almost a complete passthrough @ 22 yards.  Arrow held in by the fletchings when the cow took off.  Double lung, no ribs.  Cow went 30 yards.  Also took a sheep @ 56 yards with the same setup.  That was a crazy hunt.

20150429_203444_zpsa9rnfz7n_edit_1430366

Is this the big horn canyon ranch, if so is Charlie still there?

1 hour ago, wildwoody said:

Is this the big horn canyon ranch, if so is Charlie still there?

I think so.  Sounds right.  It is around Perris, CA.  That photo was taken about 14-15 years ago.  We had 6" of rain the first day, 8" the second day.  CA was having huge mudslides all over the state.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

I think so.  Sounds right.  It is around Perris, CA.  That photo was taken about 14-15 years ago.  We had 6" of rain the first day, 8" the second day.  CA was having huge mudslides all over the state.

Hay did your muflon have ears?