Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Sleeping Cots

Gonna get a few for out of town jobs. I have Wal-Mart, big 5 and cal ranch to choose from. Cal ranch ones seemed decent. Any experience with any of the box store types? 

If you are going to sleep on it with comfort, get one from the big sport box, Sportsmans, BPS, Cabelas. I like Apls Mountaineering cot.  I prefer a 30 wide or so as I have wide shoulders.  Some of those cheap cots, creak and move too much ie., not stable.

• Like 2

If I'm car camping, I run the Cabela's Camp Cot. Heavy, but very sturdy, easy to setup and no creaking. Works great. 

Definitely get an over sized one , and one with no end bars is even better. 

When I was way younger I slept on the ground, then a cot, now it's an air mattress. The type that stands about a foot and a half tall. They come in different sizes. Just my opinion.

Thanks guys. Any of you use inflatable pads with them? I don't think I would like them. I would want something that would breathe a bit.  I suppose I should add that this would be more for the employees too so we can cut back on hotel expenses. 

if you are fat like me, than normal cots don't work.  No support and you sink in and can't move and it's hard to get out.  If cot has bars, than you are laying on top of those bars.  Ouch.

This Cabelas cot creates a tension that supports fat people and it doesn't swallow the person.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/camping/camp-bedding/cots/pc/104795280/c/104712480/sc/104280480/cabelas-outfitter-cot/1752509.uts?slotId=0

Then when it'd cold or I just want more comfort, than I add

https://www.cabelas.com/product/camping/camp-bedding/sleeping-pads/pc/104795280/c/104712480/sc/104484780/null/2436884.uts?slotId=9

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Thanks guys. Any of you use inflatable pads with them? I don't think I would like them. I would want something that would breathe a bit.  I suppose I should add that this would be more for the employees too so we can cut back on hotel expenses. 

So are you a slave driver? Are they sleeping in a tent or an alley? You don't sound like a boss I would work for past the first day. They must be relatives and I hope the money you are saving you are passing it on to them as compensation or stock options. I don't think the labor laws permit that. How do you handle their per diem? McDonalds gift card?

• Haha 1

I have the Cabelas outfitter cot. Works great.  Just an FYI, like a highway bridge, the cold air will settle under the cot.  I’m sure you know, but in the cold you have to lay down a pad, blanket or something else on the cot to keep the cold off your back. I found out the hard way when I first used it on a javelina hunt in January.  It was a miserable night! Lol 

6 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

So are you a slave driver? Are they sleeping in a tent or an alley? You don't sound like a boss I would work for past the first day. They must be relatives and I hope the money you are saving you are passing it on to them as compensation or stock options. I don't think the labor laws permit that. How do you handle their per diem? McDonalds gift card?

Lol, When I work out of town my company pays for everything with my company corporate credit card.I don’t do reimbursements!!They also can’t dictate where I stay or where I eat.If you work out of town you don’t  change the lifestyle you are accustomed to at home. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Lol, no not a slave driver. I gave them the option for hotels or staying in the house and more per diem. So the option is theirs to decide. We did hotels this week and gonna maybe stay in the houses were remodeling next week and see if we hate it.  Ultimately the choice is up to them.