Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

Band Tailed Pigeons

I would love to get a band tailed pigeon.  If anyone knows a spot that has a good chance at getting one please let me know.  I know they are hard to find, but hoping someone has seen some recently.  I scouted a spot a friend had seen some in yesterday, but no luck.

I always see them at higher elevation. 6-8k. They seem spotty at best. Killed a couple a few years ago. I saw a ton od them south of stoneman lake 3-4 years ago. 

• Like 1

I've been told they are all over the rim above Payson, but still very spotty.  I know getting one will be VERY challenging, but would be a cool challenge!

It seems like when i see them they are pretty thick but it’s not very often. More of a target of opportunity than something people actually target successfully. Good luck out there! 

• Like 1

It seems like everyone is saying the same thing.  I'm helping on a bunch of Elk tags along the rim this fall.  I'm going to keep a shotgun in the truck in case we see some birds in a tree.  Might get lucky and see some. 

I'm gonna start checking this week getting ready for friends 22 early hunt.. 

If this helps you they love acorns look where pines start to take over oaks at a nice pond in AM and PM. I'll get back to you if I find some where I can share. But look around Young by way of Rossevelt Lake. 

Dan

• Like 1

the only place i've seen a wingshooting opportunity was on the ridges around pancho springs in unit 1.  facing north at mid-morning they were flying upslope thru the ponderosas' like f-16s on afterburner.

i have a dozen or so most days in my front yard and hawks take a few-are they any good to eat?   

you can find many foraging on the ground along the rim road east and west of hiway 60 just south of show low.

lee

• Like 1

they do love acorns, if you can find any. Tough birds, tough to bring down, #5 shot. Over the years seen them around Aztec PK Sierra Anchas, Pinal peak around the old fire tower and as far away as 35B in the oak draws. Been decades since I have seen any, quit seeing them mid 90's about the time I quit seeing an acorn crop.

I was lucky enough to find a killer spot years right before they changed the bag limit, I limited out in about an hour. In southern Az, I usually see them in higher elevation in steep deep canyons with large pine trees, kind of like ones you would think turkeys would roost in. This particular year was after a large fire in the higher elevations of this mountain range and I found a pocket full of acorns and so the birds were thick. Haven't seen birds since in such a concentration since and haven't shot another one since. 

IMG_0160.JPG

• Love 1