Sign in to follow this  
1uglydude

Looking for BROKEN/non-running dirt bike

I am the youth leader for a group of 14-15 year old boys at church.  They're a diverse group. I've got everything from video game nerd introverts to thrill-seeking adrenaline junkies.  They're kind to each other, and they really try to be inclusive, which is awesome considering their age.  However, I have found myself struggling to help them plan activities that can interest all of them.

I've been praying and thinking on what we could do that would light a fire, teach them skills, and help them form an even stronger bond.  With the blessing of church leaders, I presented the boys with the idea of rebuilding a non-functioning dirt bike together.  I'm going to help them find a bike and will front the cost of materials, but they are going to be in charge of doing all the research, finding the parts, and doing the labor together.  When we are done, we will sell the bike to repay my costs, and whatever is leftover they will either donate to a cause of their choice or use towards the group's annual budget.  The idea really struck a chord, and everyone is on board.

Now, it's time for me to help them find a bike.  After talking it over with the boys and doing some research (I'm not technically inclined at all), they have decided that the cheapest and most straightforward project would be a 125 two-stroke.   The boy that has experience with bikes insists that it not be Chinese.  We want something that needs quite a bit of work because that's the whole point of the exercise.  We would also like to find something with a title so that we are more likely to recoup costs.

So, if anyone out there has a non-functioning, non-Chinese, 125 two-stroke that are looking to dump or sell for a reasonable price, then I would be interested in talking to you.

Please send me a message or text at 480-four 95-zero 134.

Thanks! 

• Like 2

Sorry I can't help with a bike, but this is a great idea!

I remember rebuilding a non-running dirt bike with a couple of classmates in a small engine repair class in high school. It was rewarding to identify the issues, order parts/make the fix and reassemble and get it fired up and ride it! Great memories of that project.