Alpinebullwinkle

Who won?

Curious what everyone thinks about the archery hunt in units 1 and 27 this year? From what I saw in town around Alpine it appears the elk won the war this year. We saw very few bulls harvested this year compared to former years and most bulls killed were young rag horns.

I was wondering how the tally would shake out.  What percentage of horn growth was down, in your opinion, in regards to the late monsoon?

Had two buddies hunt unit 1.  Both killed bulls. One guy said rut was slow.  The other guy said rut was insane. Screaming all day 

2 hours ago, Adicted said:

Had two buddies hunt unit 1.  Both killed bulls. One guy said rut was slow.  The other guy said rut was insane. Screaming all day 

Yep two friends as well.  Both got over 320" bulls and I saw a 380 bull the day before the hunt in unit 1.  Where we were at day 1 it was crazy.  My other friend were crickets.  He went back up and found a spot the next weekend and they were going nuts and called his in.   Hit and miss in that unit that year

From what I saw in Unit 8, horn growth on the back end was horrible.  Saw lots of nice bulls and almost every one had nothing on the back end.  Other guys in the area said the same.  Bulls were screaming, but only until about 8am at the latest.  8 was HOT.  1st 5 days were 85 degrees and still 81 on day 13.  I saw a couple bulls killed but most went home empty handed from what I saw/heard. Unless my bull had horrible genetics, I believe he potentially lost 30 - 50 inches on the back end.  His fronts were insane but he had 3 inch 5ths, and short main beams.  Add a normal 5th for his size and even just 5 inches onto the beam and you add 30 - 40 inches.  Just my opinion.

I personally knew four people with tags in thsoe units. 2 in each. 3 out of the four tagged out. The guy that didn't tag out wounded two and quit hunting. The little time I spent up there, the rut was insane but finding a herd bull bigger than 320 was very difficult. Possibly the best rut activity I've ever seen. The heat had no effect on the rut activity. Looked at 75+ bulls in 2.5 days while I was there. Glassed more than anything but the bugling never quit. 

• Like 1