lamrith

34A "lowlands"?

Just a PNW based hunter with a question about Hunting lions in 34A.  I am joining family on a Early Nov Hunt.  I know they stay in the "lowlands" relatively speaking.    I will be in the SW section of the unit, in the 4400-5000ft mark where it is more desert than the higher elevations which are trees.  They have never seen a cougar in the area we will be hunting.  However I have heard from a fellow hunter on another forum that there have been a number of cat sightings in southern section of unit closer to Nogales...    I plan to coyote hunt if I tag out on deer early, so will be calling a bit, just not sure if the cats venture down that low in the unit?

I am wondering if any of your pro's on here have any input on recent sightings, etc and if it would be worth it to pickup a tag.  They are a bit spendy given I am out of state hunter, so I don't want to grab one if the cats just don't normally hang in that environment.

Yeah I know they can be pretty sneaky buggers from how they are up here.  So many people have them very close and just never know it.  But we are pretty heavily forested which is perfect for them.  I just did not know if they frequented the lower ocitillo and scrub brush type areas all the time or stayed up in the hills.

I moved to the northern edge of 34A about 6 months ago and started doing some research and asking around. I only very recently was granted access across some private property to access the land behind him so I haven't been able to confirm anything myself yet but the deer population throughout the unit in general is doing well and just like oz31p said, wherever there are deer there will be cats. We have no shortage of them here. Just be careful if you're calling if your setup is close to you because even in wide open terrain they can work their way in without you ever seeing them. One more thing, be sure to check the regulations regarding lions that are collared as part of a study by game and fish and U of A. I don't think it's illegal to kill one but I'm not 100% on that and if I'm wrong I can only imagine the fine would be a big one. Regardless I know game and fish does everything they can to encourage hunters to let those cats go.

Anyway, good luck. Pack layers. It can still be pretty warm down here that time of year down here in case you're never hunted here before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broadhead said:

I moved to the northern edge of 34A about 6 months ago and started doing some research and asking around. I only very recently was granted access across some private property to access the land behind him so I haven't been able to confirm anything myself yet but the deer population throughout the unit in general is doing well and just like oz31p said, wherever there are deer there will be cats. We have no shortage of them here. Just be careful if you're calling if your setup is close to you because even in wide open terrain they can work their way in without you ever seeing them. One more thing, be sure to check the regulations regarding lions that are collared as part of a study by game and fish and U of A. I don't think it's illegal to kill one but I'm not 100% on that and if I'm wrong I can only imagine the fine would be a big one. Regardless I know game and fish does everything they can to encourage hunters to let those cats go.

Anyway, good luck. Pack layers. It can still be pretty warm down here that time of year down here in case you're never hunted here before.

Thanks I appreciate the info.  We are going to be in the SW area of the unit.  I have heard there have been a few cat sightings near town out by Tubac.  Just hung up with AZFGD, apparently you cannot buy the ML tag over phone or online, has to be in person at a F&G dealer.

I always get a lion tag.   Last year I got to put the sticky sides together.    Lions are in every part of the state.   High or low it doesn't matter.   Lions are everywhere.   If you are going to do any calling ever make sure to have a cat tag.    FYI - they think different that other predators.   Put up your call and look down wind.   Normally I flank the wind so I can barely see the call and I make sure I can see better down wind.    If you are looking upwind..........the lion will be at your back.   

• Like 1

I think the NR cost for a lion tag is like $75- well worth the once in a lifetime opportunity should it present itself.  If you have the time Id run some set ups and call. Worst case you end up with some good looking fox or coyote pelts!  

When I was in 34a I never got to put eyes on a cat but I did see tracks in the 'lowlands'.

4 minutes ago, duckhunter175 said:

I think the NR cost for a lion tag is like $75- well worth the once in a lifetime opportunity should it present itself.  If you have the time Id run some set ups and call. Worst case you end up with some good looking fox or coyote pelts!  

When I was in 34a I never got to put eyes on a cat but I did see tracks in the 'lowlands'.

Thanks Duck!  Great to see you on here!!  I am going back to the same place my family always runs south of where you took us a few years back.  It is just what they know and they pulled a nice buck out last year.  I did upgrade my glass though (see other post here) so I have higher quality and plan to hopefully hop over a few ridges to get away form the dirtracks and glass for coues.  If I tag out I do plan to call for yotes and anything else that comes in.

On 10/4/2018 at 12:21 PM, recurveman said:

I always get a lion tag.   Last year I got to put the sticky sides together.    Lions are in every part of the state.   High or low it doesn't matter.   Lions are everywhere.   If you are going to do any calling ever make sure to have a cat tag.    FYI - they think different that other predators.   Put up your call and look down wind.   Normally I flank the wind so I can barely see the call and I make sure I can see better down wind.    If you are looking upwind..........the lion will be at your back.   

So they act like elk.  always downwind..  Thanks for that tip.

35 minutes ago, lamrith said:

Thanks Duck!  Great to see you on here!!  I am going back to the same place my family always runs south of where you took us a few years back.  It is just what they know and they pulled a nice buck out last year.  I did upgrade my glass though (see other post here) so I have higher quality and plan to hopefully hop over a few ridges to get away form the dirtracks and glass for coues.  If I tag out I do plan to call for yotes and anything else that comes in.

You changed your avatar! Sorry for not recognizing!  Glad yall are still getting after it down there!!! There is nothing not to love about that whole space-- I hope you guys have a great hunt down there. I'm gonna be bowhunting OTC for coues I think bc my hunting buddy and I are gonna try to save up some points for the lifetime type hunts.

I had good luck calling with the gray fox pup distress and gray fox fighting sounds on my e-caller. Keep in touch!

• Like 1