Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Right handed left eye dominant shooter?

12 hours ago, 10Turkeys said:

Have him make a circle with his finger and thumb and put in front of him, have both eyes open and get the circle in the middle. Have him close one eye at a time, which ever stays in the circle is his dominant eye. If he his right handed and left eye dominant, a piece of tape will work on the left side of his glasses if you want him to shoot right handed.

ah yes, the meat gazer. classic.. then give him 2 for flinching. 

• Like 1

I am right handed and left eye dominant, my dad noticed when was the same age as your son.

Teach your son to shoot left handed. Shooting a scoped rifle can be done either way but he will never be able to shoot a shotgun or a rifle with open sights as well right handed. 

I am in the gun business and have seen this problem dozens of times and the only real solution is to shoot with your dominant eye. I have seen my customers struggle for years before finally making the switch and it is much harder to do late in life.

I can shoot a scoped rifle well from either side and I prefer to use right handed rifles but that is because I handle so many guns that the left hand guns seem strange.

I'm partially right handed, partially left handed and left eye dominant. I shoot rifles and Bows left handed. I carry and draw a pistol right-handed but aim with my left eye. I do have both eyes open. As long as he can shoot accurately I'd let him go with whatever feels the most natural to him.

Both of my kids are right handed and left eye dominant, I have them both shoot left handed and it has worked out well for them. I started them shooting bows and guns around age 8.  I think the earlier they start the better!

Good Luck

i am right handed and left eye dominant, i shoot left handed but use right handed rifles, i shoot a bow right handed........i'm all messed up

• Like 2

You're not alone Lefty. I do everything right handed except shoot long guns, pool and scratch my right butt cheek and elbow. Left eye dominance and right handed guns are not an issue. Thankfully for him left handed guns are much more readily available now than they were when I was his age should he go that way.

1 hour ago, lefty said:

i am right handed and left eye dominant, i shoot left handed but use right handed rifles, i shoot a bow right handed........i'm all messed up

We might have been on the assembly line at the same time.

My experience with my son has been this:

If you blade your body to shoot a rifle or a bow, the eye from that side automatically dominates over the other. The only way it becomes an issue is if you are pistol shooting with your sighting system directly in front of your body, or, centered. Try it. My son is left-eye dominant and shoots a right-handed bow just fine. Same with his rifle shooting.

Talk about being messed up. I am right handed and right eye dominant but shoot rifles left handed.  I don't know why just always shot that way ever since I could pick up a gun. I have tried teaching myself to shoot right handed but just revert back to left handed due to just being more comfortable.

• Like 1

I blame his problem mostly on his mom, but I am a little messed up too. I do most things with my right hand and right eye.

Kicking something is different though. If I am kicking a football off a tee or a soccer ball I would use my right leg. If I am holding/punting the football I will kick it with my left leg.

For some reason it is more natural, and my left leg has better flexibility and mobility for punting the football.

I shoot pistols both eyes open.

20 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

I am basically sure my 6 year old is right handed and left eye dominant. He also can really keep 1 eye open except for his left about half way. He can't wink. 

Should I be teaching him to shoot rifles lefty? 

I am going to work on the inability to keep 1 eye open, but my wife has the same issue. 

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot and carry my pistol left handed and I shoot better then I do right handed, but I shoot my rifles right handed. 

I'm right handed but I shoot left handed.  My right eye has 20/200 vision so I really can't shoot right handed.  For 20 years I shot pistols right handed but recently switched to left handed and my accuracy went way up.  You think there's not enough rifles out there for leftys, try looking for pistols that are good for leftys.  

I'm left eye dominant and prefer a right hand bolt gun unless it has a huge cheek rest (since it's a waste for me on the other side). As a kid, there were not any left hand rifles available for me to use and I learned to cycle the RH bolts. Now I prefer them, lefty rifles feel strange. Never noticed any problem making scope adjustments. I also like keeping my shooting hand (left)  in place while cycling the bolt with my right hand, kinda keeps me in position better.

Both my kids shoot right handed and we can share rifles.

Your kid will be fine no matter which way you decide to go. Lots of options will work if you find time to practice them.