AZHUNTER05

Question for people who tow fifth wheels with short beds.

I recently purchased a fifth wheel and I’m looking at getting a new sliding hitch to avoid damaging the cab of my truck. I’ve found several used PullRite sliders for sale online, and I was told they are junk and not to buy one. Even though they get great reviews online. 

While researching hitches I came across the Reese sidewinder king pin that swivels, so you don’t need a slider in the bed of your truck. I like this idea because it takes up less room in the bed of my truck and it appears to have more pro’s than con’s to it. Are any of you guys running the PullRite hitches or Reese Sidewinder that could give me some feedback on your setup? Any advice would be appreciated! Thx 👍

It depends on the distance from the 5th wheel hitch pin to the body of the camper. I towed my fifth wheel with my Dodge 6'4" bed. With standard Reese hitch. I could turn more than 90 degrees and there was no interference. But my fifth wheel trailer has a longer then average tongue on it.

Depends on the trailer and truck. Most newer 5th wheels have a contoured front cap that seems to help. I spent a lot of cash on a B&W Companion slider and haven’t had to use the sliding function yet. Haven’t had to really jack-knife it backing into anything, but not sure I ever will. I’ve tried to turn as sharp as I can moving forward and still plenty of clearance. 

I’ve seen a lot of good stuff about the Andersen Ultimate...I’d give that one a good look. 

I was in the same situation as you two months ago.  Picked up a Jayco Eagle HT and RAM 2500 6,4” Bed.  After a lot of research I went with B&W turnover ball and Anderson Ultimate.  

Hooking and unhooking is a breeze.  Have turned 90 degrees a couple of times already and clear cab easy.   I timed myself installing it and I was under 4 minutes.  

Andreson Ultimates were $720 on Amazon.  Took the add into Quality Bumper in Mesa and they matched it.  They now have a customer for life.  

My neighbor has a 3 axle toy hauler with a F350 platinum and runs the same setup as me.