Bigfish86

Unit 11M bull hunt

51 minutes ago, idgaf said:

Quartering away is a bad shot?  The execution for whatever reason caused the result.  I know several of the trophies on my walls were from quartering away shots.  I would not hesitate to take a quartering away 

That bull was beautiful! Somebody has been seriously bummed about that loss since shortly after 1st blood. :( quartering away is 🎯 bummer if i can't find my animal i always head to nearest water. 

• Like 2

On 10/6/2018 at 7:59 AM, nateNAU said:

Here is the bull we were able to shoot the last day of the first 11m hunt.

20180928_084912.jpg

Any bull is trophy, but if it isn't going to be a "monster" in inches, at least it is unique.  Congrats. 

• Like 1

After evaluating the situation , what do you believe happened ? I have seen this type of event , looks like he had survived lots of pain for several days. But this happens more than. ever known. No one likes it , but it can not be prevented. But it,s not all bad. Nature cleans the mess up.  Predators, bugs ,maggots , & birds all benefit. Within a year the only evidence left is maybe a few bones.

I've chased big bulls 50 years,& harvested many.   All these judgments &  guesses,, are just that! Only the hunter that released the arrow--probably knows what went wrong., and i am sure he will do his best -to never do that again.  In my younger days, I had this happen to me. I tracked the bull for several days and finally found it. The head & cape was gone.  The truth is - if you look thoroughly & long enough--you can put it behind you, because either found it, or  you are sure that you did you very best search.   * I shot this bull in 11 M.

IMG_1473.JPG

• Like 1

I hunted 11 M    two  seasons. 2012 harvested a huge bull. The largest one that  I have ever seen alive;  I have hunted big bulls for 42 years ,and harvested more than 30. My advice to you is--Find the most recent used watering place, or a best travel route. Set your blind correctly,,, air flow is most important. Now,consider your skill; ( Max range that you can put the arrow into a 6 inch target? ) Have your blind all set & you be ready 30 Min. before first light. You should have -calling skill -average or better. Big bulls will come to a poorly blown call, when the timing is right.Most hunters call too much. The best time to call-is when the bull is about to  pass you -(a little too far out). I have about an 85 % call-in success. I use bull calls only to locate. I have never seen a big bull  try to -do it with another bid bull. Bug bulls come to -  cow calling.They will always come to love calls better than challenge calls. one other thing =always use sent blocking (ca mo) clothes. and the best spray sent blocker. Now you are about 95 % ready -to release.  Now the heard part = PATIENTS ! Absolutely necessary, for all the shill and practice to -- put the Elk steaks on the plate & the Trophy on your den-wall!  Best of luck

IMG_0479 (2).JPG

• Like 4

Seeker, I asked you on another 11m subject if you had gotten video of your bull before you shot it, and if you could post some pictures of the bull from the day you shot it. I would like to see how big he is next to you in the field.

1 hour ago, azhuntnut said:

Seeker, I asked you on another 11 M subject if you had gotten video of your bull before you shot it, and if you could post some pictures of the bull from the day you shot it. I would like to see how big he is next to you in the field.        AZHUNTNUT= I am a solo hunter . I am a Tenn. Indian; That hunts the old way! I hunt -1 man chasing 1 animal -No guides- no spotters - no camera operators - No pack trains ( animal ) No tent cities.  no callers- no thunder stick carriers- no vehicles... I carry all the basic items that I will need. I move  swiftly & silently; Shoot silently , fast & accurate==Quick death- little pain.   Now you know my act, but you wont see my tracks ! Now-  you know- I took no video.  I do have photos of him& the place where he departed- from his body. I believe that you are interested in the antler size== 400+...7 x 7.  Thanks for your interest  Note-an A Z Elk guide took a video of him before the season opened. It's on you tube---Called  ( huge Arizona bull)

On 10/4/2018 at 4:18 PM, muleybowhunter said:

From G&F

Areas: During the hunting season, elk can be found throughout the unit, but are in higher densities on the west, south and east portions of the unit. Elk can also be found on the north side however, vehicle access is limited and you will have to pack your animal out. There are higher numbers of elk on the west side along Highway 89A near Forest Highlands and on the southeast side north of Walnut Canyon and south Continental. The area south of the Flagstaff Airport east of Mountainaire is also a good area to check for bugling bulls. It is important to remember unit 11M is a metro unit around Flagstaff and hunters should expect to see other people in the areas running, bike riding, walking their dogs, riding horses etc. Hunters should be considerate of others and realize they are not the only ones out there.

You are right --lot of human activity around & close to the airport, after 8 A M, so it has no effect on the best hunting time. One other thing that I saw that seems to help the hunter... Seems that the Elk have became used to type of people. So ,come Sept 13. --- I will do he same-- walk around singing, walking my dog , in my bright -gaudy clothes---- with my Bow secluded. I've seen this work more than once; Walk right by within 10 to 20 yards. (  1.Picture--look at this picture of - just that.) In fact in 2012 I harvested the largest bull that I have ever seen (alive) Picture 2.  And I've hunted Elk for more  than 45 years .IMG_0397.thumb.JPG.b3b869aa8cd3903e120b5d2b8f2f0f55.JPG305047177_IMG_0241(1).thumb.JPG.284a486050138708c1a8a3f20b27954d.JPG

Edited by SEEKER

18 hours ago, SEEKER said:

You are right --lot of human activity around & close to the airport, after 8 A M, so it has no effect on the best hunting time. One other thing that I saw that seems to help the hunter... Seems that the Elk have became used to type of people. So ,come Sept 13. --- I will do he same-- walk around singing, walking my dog , in my bright -gaudy clothes---- with my Bow secluded. I've seen this work more than once; Walk right by within 10 to 20 yards. (  1.Picture--look at this picture of - just that.) In fact in 2012 I harvested the largest bull that I have ever seen (alive) Picture 2.  And I've hunted Elk for more  than 45 years .IMG_0397.thumb.JPG.b3b869aa8cd3903e120b5d2b8f2f0f55.JPG305047177_IMG_0241(1).thumb.JPG.284a486050138708c1a8a3f20b27954d.JPG

So, hunting like that makes you proud? 

For some, all that matters is the size of bone on the wall.  Taking advantage of animals who come accustomed to people is not something I'd be proud of, but that's me...

14 minutes ago, 1uofacat said:

For some, all that matters is the size of bone on the wall.  Taking advantage of animals who come accustomed to people is not something I'd be proud of, but that's me...

Proud or no proud, sounds like scouting to me. With a legal tag.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 1uofacat said:

I made no video of my bull. Only photos. A  Elk hunting guide made a video of him & his herd a few days before I harvested it. It's been on you tube since then.    Called-(huge Arizona bull). Hope this helps , with your question.  Pictures are above..

On 8/8/2019 at 4:26 PM, 1uofacat said:

If you have a tag in that unit what's wrong with it? Especially when most of the unit is semi metro.

I like hunting where there are trails and animals are somewhat used to people being around.  

• Like 2

On 8/11/2019 at 6:53 AM, CatfishKev said:

If you have a tag in that unit what's wrong with it? Especially when most of the unit is semi metro.

I like hunting where there are trails and animals are somewhat used to people being around.  

It's certainly legal, but each has to answer that question for themselves.  Is there honor in that type of hunting because one can take advantage of an animal who may see "residents" as a non-threat and therefore allow people "camouflauged" like this to get close to them?  To each his own...

There's a difference between ethics and morals... they're not the same thing.

WOW!  You must have seen my ( Hunting Plans )Book ,  Because you described my 2nd. best plan; It,s  on page 5 of the book.

I used this exact plan to harvest my ,largest Bull-ever : In 11 M .  In 2012 early hunt.  He is a HUGE-GIANT 410+ , OLD HERD BULL , with approx 50 cows.

Many hunters saw him up there , but he always eluded them all. But with this plan , It was so easy- each step fell right into place.

Wow-  Now he is the outstanding ** STAR** a.mongst , All my trophies.

Some time , you might like to hear -just how the   #1 plan in my  ( plan book ) worked out ?             *   I do not sell hunting books, or  offer advise.

The SEEKER

IMG_0479 (2).JPG

On 7/16/2019 at 11:10 AM, azhuntnut said:

Seeker, I asked you on another 11 M subject if you had gotten video of your bull before you shot it, and if you could post some pictures of the bull from the day you shot it. I would like to see how big he is next to you in the field.

A H  N.    **** answering your request>                         The pictures  of my Bull (here-in) - with me holding the antlers. And of him alive before I killed him.

What do think?               On my 11 M hunt last week , I shot one - 30 points larger than this one????

IMG_0477 (2).JPG

IMG_0484.JPG

IMG_0479 (2).JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

This looks like the first TANK, right off 237-going east- off 89 A  ?????

A shot a huge bull , near there last week  7 X 7 About a 430 bull.

This is my 2012, 11 M Bull.

IMG_0479 (2).JPG