Sign in to follow this  
AZDirtyTaco

Duracoat Issue

Hey Gents!

Looking for some input on my recent 1st time use of Duracoat.  After finishing the job and removing all of my stencils, there was a significant amount of the adhesive residue that was left behind on the entire job.  I'm thinking that the adhesive reacted to the Duracoat because much of the adhesive that I have removed was pigmented in the color from the layer it was applied.  I was painting in temps around 70-85 degrees and waited a solid 3 hours or significantly more in-between applications.  I wasn't scientific in my measurement of the hardener and feel this might be where my mistake was made.  Perhaps there was not enough hardener to prevent the adhesive from interacting with the last layer of paint???  Anywho, I'd like to find out where I went wrong and prevent a repeat of this mess.  It has been a complete PITA to remove all of the residue!!!

20181002_072919.jpg

20181002_072540.jpg

• Like 1

Doesn’t it need to be baked on? Like 110* I’ve gotten a large card board box hang whatever you’ve painted inside of it and make a hole in it just large enough for the end of a hair blow dryer to fit through and I turn that thing on for a few hours. Never had an issue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hunthard said:

Doesn’t it need to be baked on? Like 110* I’ve gotten a large card board box hang whatever you’ve painted inside of it and make a hole in it just large enough for the end of a hair blow dryer to fit through and I turn that thing on for a few hours. Never had an issue.

The Durabake line of paint does require a bake if I recall.  It's optional for the normal Duracoat and aids in the curing process to speed things up.  I like that garage ingenuity of your box and hair dryer set-up!  Definitely will consider it for the next go round.

Get it Cerakoted.  AxisWorks or Area 15.