Sign in to follow this  
Jnj13

Opening morning Jr success

We set out on my son’s 4th Jr hunt this week.  Plenty of scouting during the archery season paid off but also made for a quick hunt. Small hike into our first glassing spot and right at first light my son found 3 bucks.  A friend was helping and thought the best buck was a small 2.  Later we realized he was on different bucks.  We had several bucks in this canyon now.  After an hour my son pointed us to the bucks he found again and told us that was a tall 3x3 and he wanted to try and get to him.  We closed the distance to about 600 yards and discovered his young eyes to be correct. A very nice 3x3 in full velvet.  We managed another 40 yards before the canyon dropped away from us and set up for the shot.  569, one practice shot, 540, one hit.  Unfortunately the buck took a nice tumble and luckily got held up on a century plant otherwise it might have found the bottom of the canyon.  Most of the velvet was damaged in his fall. We didn’t realize exactly how steep and high these bucks were until we got there.  It took over an hour to get down from the ridge and back up to the other side of the canyon. 1 hour+ to get 550 yards. My son loaded all the meat and the caped buck into his pack and we were back to the truck at noon.  

Quick work of his Jr tag.  This is his 4th coues and his best to date.  This deer is all his too. He found the spot, found the deer, made the move, handled the shots, and packed him out.  He’s asked to have this deer mounted and I am really looking forward to having a memory of this jr hunt forever.  Gavin is confident he can give us a velvet mount. Can’t wait to see how he turns out.

Thanks for reading.

pics coming

26C83379-2792-4E64-BFBD-FE51B688DD65.jpeg

5.jpeg

4.jpeg

3.jpeg

2.jpeg

1.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Great Buck! 2

Congrats to your boy. I guess my son and yours are friends from school because my he sent me a pic he got from your boy on Friday.  Then I recognized the photo here. Solid job! Nice buck! 

• Like 2

Congrats!!!

• Like 1