Sign in to follow this  
hoghntr

*Bull Elk Blessing from donated tag, oh wait... aka Casey's favortism conspiracy theory post.

Man tough hunt! Pre rut activity in end of dang September.

Rifle hunt. Was getting nerve block in hip openeing morn cuz pain so,bad,night before i couldn't sleep. I had high hopes this procedure would help me get around a bit better so 1 day wasted and rain was coming soon.

All night bulls screaming and the moon was bright. Sat morn bulls talking but not coming to calls. I managed to hobble into a couple bulls that were chatty and dang they were in thick stuff and maybe 50 yards.. I see a nice tall 6x6 with short points but tall so i get scope on him in small opening and wait to make sure all is clear but when he dropped his head to eat a rump was at his neck line... Then up out of brush comes a giant whale tail bulls head (350ish) he was standing perfectly beside the 6. 😕 My buddy whispered something to me and when i moved my head i think the sun behind me caused flicker cuz the 6 just spun head and looked at me. I got back in the scope and the toad bull was standing straight away only presenting Texas heart shot and sorry but i'd rather have good meat then the big rack. 

Sat. night i sat water and 1 fox visited & a G&F guy who politely backed out but i heard same guy walked right in on aquaitence in same unit opening morn of archery. 😡

Sun morn i fully expected to shoot 1 of those bulls from Saturday.. We saw 2 monsters driving in but juat not enough light for,my aging eyes then silence fell upon the woods.

Sunday night sat water and thundering bull bugles echoed out 30min before dark but not in the kind of country i could try and pursue them in with bad leg and it was clear nobody was coming to water.

Monday morning after a sleepless night from sorta warm weather and a annoying loud bull we set out to try and chase bugles. Unfortunately my leg was super bad, the block helped till anathesia wore off tjen back to pain so walking was super slow and every time we got to bugles they had moved 500 yards. :(

I told buddy (bowhunter4life) i was done and i think it's time to go home cuz pain was too bad so he asked if he should go grab the truck.. I was frustrated, how can 1 go to unit 👉9👈 with a rifle and get no bull? :( so i said let me take some medicine and rest foot 30 minutes and he kinda backed off and gave me room to vent my frustrations a bit. Well while venting i chose to continue a conversation with i believe the bull who kept me awake the night before. :) we had just spoke with him and i had even raked his rub a bit while screaming at him and he wasn't so happy. I continued screaming the bugle loud directly at him and buddy hit cow call here and there 30 yards behind me and son of a gun suddenly the screamer was 100 yards off and on same level as i so i figured this bull was in play! My buddy came over and said he is close and i was like YUP! He says can ya do it and i said meds worked lets do it. Well we walked straight at bugle which was now in a draw 150 yards or so off. I screamed loud on bugle everytime he spoke and you could tell he was not very happy with me. Suddenly after a different squeaky bull spoke we saw a spindly bull (which i would have shot) suddenly dart from thick cover and just vanish we hit bugle and the bigger bull screamed back from dead ahead maybe 60-80 yards. I got down on ground and scanned with binocs then scope and could see what sure looked like legs, belly and lower shoulders of elk. I got super low and put scope on shoulder/chest cuz facing me slighly quartering left and i asked buddy to hit bugle.. Well as soon as Mike bugled the bull buggled and his belly and balls bounced confirming target and the 300wm barked!! He ran out with leg flying all over the place. We got on his trail and found 2 tiny blood drops of blood in 40 or 50 yards.. I was frustrated and was like what the heck man i just smacked him with a 200 grain bullet at point blank kinda range and i get 2 drops of blood? Just then buddy slapped me and was like right there he is!!! Maybe 10 yards to my left. L.O.L. 

When Mike went for his truck to see if he could get in to us i rolled the bull over and found a busted arrow shaft and broadhead that was festering out of upper shoulder.

So he is not the biggest bull but i am dang proud of him. I absolutely love this bull and the fact that i received the tag the day before the hunt started and have never hunted elk in 9, i had a nerve block the morning the hunt started, i still have post op foot! I'm way blessed to have a friend willing to drop everything and go help and a wife willing to let me drop everything and go hunt. Blessed Blessed Blessed and so very thankful. 

i know many people that donated tags this year were just wanting better antler/horn growth but in this case i believe it was illness so please pray for the donor. Thanks

As you can tell by the boiling pot i am playing catch up with my own personal harvests so i can make room for meat, heck i even did my bison after these and it was from 2016 :]

1003181310.jpg

1001181848b.jpg

1001181256.jpg

1001181127.jpg

1001180922c.jpg

1001180921.jpg

1001180911a.jpg

1001180920e.jpg

• Like 17
  • Love 2

Very nice. Good work staying with it and fighting the pain. That is a darn nice bull, especially with no notice and no scouting. 

• Like 1

I wonder if that is the same bull an a guy I know arrowed in 9 and couldn't find.

• Like 1

Way to hang in there and get it done!  Congratulations 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoss50 said:

I wonder if that is the same bull an a guy I know arrowed in 9 and couldn't find.

1001180935a.jpg

1001180936a.jpg

1001180936.jpg

Arizona Strip deer, rifle antelope, Unit 9 early rifle?  Man, that’s a lifetime of tags all in the same year. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Arizona Strip deer, rifle antelope, Unit 9 early rifle?  Man, that’s a lifetime of tags all in the same year. 

No doubt. Many tags dumped this year because antlers/horns were not what they could be so... Personally meat in my freezer baby!!! That point guard meant for someone sick or unable to get away for a hunt kinda went crazy this year with guys scouting up till the end then donating tags cuz they couldn't find the amount of inches they wanted to kill. Many donated tags were archery this year so i was floored when early rifle bull tag call came to me. Absolutely dream hunts, heck even bucket list! Hopefully someone doesn't know something about my future that i don't know. 😯 L.O.L.

I did not make it to the strip but all deer i saw tagged were between 193 & 253 i believe so even though growth was weak it seems those who scouted or were guided managed to find plenty of bone. Wish that tag had been rifle i could have at least drove around eating my antibiotics praying for a buck. 😀 Some day i will hopefully get a monster muley but if not or until then i am happy with drooling over and being happy for other peoples accomplishments with the biggins. 

• Like 3

No way man thats a nice bull right there.  Thats awesome

• Like 1

What's the process for obtaining all these world class tags?

Do the thousands of other wounded vets have a chance, or does one need to "know the right guy/gal?"

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

What's the process for obtaining all these world class tags?

Do the thousands of other wounded vets have a chance, or does one need to "know the right guy/gal?"

This is really bugging you, huh?

• Like 2