Viper

4B Archery Bull success! ...and a miracle

I know this is long. I was going to keep it brief, but thought I would add more detail, as I like to analyze each hunt and try to learn something from it.

I had this same hunt 7 years ago, which my brother from Indiana joined me on. He was able to hunt with me the first week only. I got selective after seeing my trail cam picture of a 340 class bull. We hunted him that whole first week, having close encounters with him and passing on smaller bulls. My brother had to leave, and so did this bull, with all 20 of his cows. I did not fill my tag that season.

I drew this tag this year and my brother flew out to hunt with me again. This time he was able to stay for most of the hunt, but not arriving until Sunday late morning. It was the first time I had missed opening day of an elk hunt, let alone the first three days. My anxiety was through the roof. When my brother arrived, I told him, "this time I'm killing something while you're here". My early criteria was 5x5 or bigger.

My early scouting was discouraging...very little sign where I hunted before, hot temperatures (85 degrees), very dry, tanks very low... 

The first Monday and Tuesday saw little action and only a few bugles. Wednesday we hunted all day in the rain and had a blast. The rut was firing up. We had close encounters with a nice herd bull twice, but couldn't get a shot. We did 12 miles chasing bugles all day. Each day after seemed to get better. Even with the full moon there was good action, although the bugling shut down by 8:00 am, so we had to find them bedded. We had close encounters each day, with 4 or 5 in the 330 class. Most within 30 - 70 yards, just couldn't get a shot opportunity. I am very conservative with my shots, and will not try to force it.

Up to this point, my brother had been struggling to produce good cow calls, using open reed calls that I had. He did pretty good in camp, but in a set-up he got "stage fright". I could tell he was pretty discouraged with himself. Heck, I've been using these calls for 25 years and still struggle now and then. He said, "they don't like calls with a Hoosier accent". On the last Tuesday of the hunt I gave him one of my diaphram calls to try. To my surprise, he did pretty good with it. I also broke out the....Hoochie Momma. I resisted this for 9 days, as I really don't like the sound of it, compared to diaphragm/reed calls. But he could make consistent cow sounds with it.

It was getting down to the wire...Tuesday afternoon...our 9th day. We wouldn't be able to hunt the last day of the hunt, Thursday, due to my brother having to fly out. So we had two days left. After doing some camp chores, it was getting late, about 4:30 pm. We were pretty worn out and feeling a bit lazy so we decided to just walk a short road behind camp, about a 1/2 mile back. We would try a new calling strategy. I would initiate the cow calls with a couple different diaphragms, then he would mix in with the Hoochie Momma...so they wouldn't be shocked by it if they came in. Then I would move up in shooting position and leave the calling to him, as needed.

We set up at the end of a point. With some cow calling, we provoked a bugle across a draw. He seemed to be hung up, when another bull bugled to our right. We adjusted our setup and got ready, as this bull seemed to be coming in. I had told him, "the caller is the quarterback, you have to draw that bull in and stop him for the shot". He whispered in the radio, "do you see them coming from the right?...get ready". Here come two cows and a calf...trotting in to find their friends, with a small bull following about 40 yards back. I ranged the cows at 25 yards as they trotted by, got nervous and kept on going. As the bull's eyes went behind a tree, I drew my bow. The bull took a further line to follow the cows....I estimated 35 yards. As soon as the bull was in the clear, my brother hit the Hoochie, stopping the bull. My shot was true, as clearly seen by the Nocturnal lighted knock...low, right behind the shoulder...THUMP. As the bull ran off, we both hit the cow calls. I listened...but no crash. Holy smokes! What a turn of events, in just minutes! My brother walked up to me and we quietly discussed what had just happened. We slowly/quietly walked up to where the bull was hit. It was easy to follow his tracks, dug into the pine needles as he ran. Within 50 yards we found the arrow, covered in bright red blood from tip to knock. There wasn't a lot of blood, but enough to follow, with some difficulty. It took about 45 minutes to cover about 150 yards. At that point, we were finding clots and where he stood, bleeding from both sides, barley dripping on the ground. Now it's dark, and we break out the headlamps. I'm a pretty good tracker, but on my hands and knees I could not find another spec of blood or disturbed pebble. We began a grid search along the line he was taking. We searched for a few hours, then walked back to camp, grabbed a bite, and rode the quads back to the site. We continued to search all over the ridge top with the quad lights...until 2:00 am. We went back to camp and washed down some Alieve with peach schnapps and got 3 hours of sleep. We were back out there at 6:00 am. I used the Backcountry Navigator app on my phone to coordinate our search grids. We searched the ridge top, and the surrounding side draws/canyon. We finally found him at 1:00 pm, nearly 1/2 mile from where I shot him. What a MIRACLE!   I was humbled and overwhelmed....I broke down and cried...in front of my younger brother. This had never happened to me before, with archery/rifle kills...elk, deer, javelina...one shot and they die within site. I have been on quite a few of these tracking jobs for others that didn't turn out well. The hard part to understand was the shot was perfect, both lungs. How in heck could he travel 1/2 mile?!  Miracle #2, the meat was still good! It appeared he had been in shade until the last hour before finding him. Also, that night was the coolest we had, 50 degrees. I had my doubts, but had to take a chance. There was a slight rot smell, I think from the blood and gut cavity. I skinned back the hind quarter and sniffed the meat...not bad. I cut through the meat, to the bone and sniffed...not bad. We took the meat to the processor, who said it looks and smells great. Cooking some backstrap confirmed it was still good.

It was an epic hunt! We had close encounters with nice bulls, saw some awesome country, and had a great adventure with my brother.

Lessons learned:

#1  Don't get discouraged with lack of sign/activity in a place known to hold elk in the past. Have patience. The rut will kick in and opportunities will happen. This season had several negative conditions stacked against it...hot, dry, full moon. It was still a great hunt.

#2  Hunt hard. If the success rate is 20%, hunt 5 times harder than everyone else. According to my brothers step counter (not sure how accurate these are) we covered 64 miles in 9 days and 9,000 feet in elevation change (up/down).

#3  Have a good hunting partner that will encourage you and continue to get out of bed every morning at 4:00 am.

#4  Don't discount a particular call because you "don't like it". Try everything in your tackle box and figure out what they're biting on.

#5  The last day we were in camp, my brother came up with a yellow jacket trap, using a water bottle and apple juice. GEEZE! Do this on day one! They were a real nuisance. I got bit by one day one and stung on day 10.

#6  Avoid the temptation to track the animal right away. Wait an hour. I was confident in my shot...certain he was dead. I don't know for sure, but it's possible I pushed him. It took 45 minutes to track 150 yards, but maybe not enough time.

#7  Don't give up on the search. I was confident in the shot and knew he was dead. We searched for 15 hours and covered many miles in steps. The Backcountry Navigator (or similar app) is a huge help with this.

#8  Don't give up on the meat. I believe my bull was dead for 18 hours. The meat was still good.

Arrow covered in blood from tip to knock:

20180925_180816b.thumb.jpg.796f65a33d5cf7912bf352a584b0ec2f.jpg

Two happy hunters!

20180926_123344b.thumb.jpg.9190e53a0553a1ad5fdbeb94f7d357aa.jpg

20180926_123451b.thumb.jpg.7c6f75d121490f9a28906b270157b1eb.jpg

Meat ready to go:

20180926_155644b.thumb.jpg.4544a484041dbee8ea2cc2e932185796.jpg

Shot entrance:

20180926_150844b.thumb.jpg.035b5b47110c2a0b35dd9e4a1d0606bb.jpg

Shot exit:

20180926_132858b.thumb.jpg.f4035d8991ec418732ba92871f7c4dae.jpg

Went back 9 days later to look for a lost radio. Not much left:

20181006_120814b.thumb.jpg.b70381f33600365ab8d1017d37e76d8e.jpg

Interesting...the toe is covered with a hard sheath.

20181006_121104b.thumb.jpg.ef24b9dce38940c61b4006d3350ea893.jpg

• Like 12

Great job, way to stick with it. I've seen and heard too many times where guys give up too soon. Nice hunt and bull.

• Like 1

great story, and you're right on regarding waiting before tracking an animal you can't see.  One of the worst things you can do is to push an animal that's been hit by an arrow, especially a bull as tough as they are.

An hour is what we wait, minimum, but that all depends on the circumstances.  If it's raining, you probably need to change your tactics, and for gut shots, you may want to wait for several hours, but each situation is different.

Congrats!

• Like 1

Right on!  Congratulations!! Story was a good read and really like the lessons learned. I agree! Thanks!

• Like 1