You are a lucky man that your wife likes to hunt.  

My daughters both hunt though.  They use what rifle I take for them to use depending on game choice.  They get to pick what is in the truck.  Anyone who knows me, knows that is usually one of 3 (in the vehicle) that are all high end customs with top tier glass. Accurate and well documented rifles make for a more enjoyable hunt.   

Practice, practice, practice.

Oh, I thought you wanted to trade a rifle for a wife.  Was going to ask for pictures of the rifle.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 10/13/2018 at 6:34 PM, Jacob...soaz said:

I am looking to get my wife a great all around rifle for AZ big game. Lets just say i have a $2000.00 budget for rifle and scope.  I would like the set up good to about 500 yards. I don't want the recoil to be too much where she doesn't want to shoot. Also i would like it to be as light as possible.  So any recommendations ? thanks for your time    

How much experience do your wife have with shooting a rifle/shotgun?   If the answer is very little I would get her a cartridge that is in a short action.   I think most hunters use way more caliber than they need.   I would error on the light side.   Think in terms of .243, .308, 7mm08, ect.    If she is comfortable with bigger guns I would consider bigger rounds like the .270 or maybe a 30-06.    No need to go any bigger.   I wouldn't worry about weight that much.   Lighter guns recoil more.......plus, you should be carrying her gun anyways.   Heavy guns will also be more accurate.   When the nerves are going a lighter gun moves around more than a heavier gun.   Don't be afraid of weight.    

I'm not a fan of muzzle breaks.   They require hearing protection and that doesn't always happen in the field.   By all means shoot a smaller round and don't use a break.   We have shot many, many, many elk with a .243 and I've yet to have one come back to life.   Heck my wife just shot an elk with a 42# bow and that elk tastes great.      

The guns/bows my wife shoot are fit to her.   I think it is very important to have the gun fit to the shooter.     She has a .308 and a few 20 gauge shotguns that are her LOP.   The comfort and absorption of recoil will be dramatically different if the gun fits her.

I don't know your wife's experience level but I'm guessing she is a novice (which is super cool).    Your biggest issue isn't the gun/weapon.   Girls don't typically grow up like boys.   We had a BB gun in our hands starting at a very young age.   We got used to shooting birds, cans, frogs, rocks, windows and everything else.    That taught us how to shoot using a variety of different rests or freehand.   Your wife probably doesn't understand how to use a tree, hood, pack, kneeling, sticks as a rest.   I've spent tons of time setting up cans and having my wife shoot all sorts of stuff getting used to just acquiring the target and hitting it.    Actually being able to shoot the gun in hunting situations is by far and away the biggest issue I've seen when getting a woman ready to hunt....... Another huge consideration........keeping her warm.   If they are cold you are going home or wish you were going home.  

I've had a great time hunting with my wife......she has killed buffalo, axis deer, many WT deer, pig, cow elk, bull elk.  but it does come with a grip of challenges.    

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, recurveman said:

How much experience do your wife have with shooting a rifle/shotgun?   If the answer is very little I would get her a cartridge that is in a short action.   I think most hunters use way more caliber than they need.   I would error on the light side.   Think in terms of .243, .308, 7mm08, ect.    If she is comfortable with bigger guns I would consider bigger rounds like the .270 or maybe a 30-06.    No need to go any bigger.   I wouldn't worry about weight that much.   Lighter guns recoil more.......plus, you should be carrying her gun anyways.   Heavy guns will also be more accurate.   When the nerves are going a lighter gun moves around more than a heavier gun.   Don't be afraid of weight.    

I'm not a fan of muzzle breaks.   They require hearing protection and that doesn't always happen in the field.   By all means shoot a smaller round and don't use a break.   We have shot many, many, many elk with a .243 and I've yet to have one come back to life.   Heck my wife just shot an elk with a 42# bow and that elk tastes great.      

The guns/bows my wife shoot are fit to her.   I think it is very important to have the gun fit to the shooter.     She has a .308 and a few 20 gauge shotguns that are her LOP.   The comfort and absorption of recoil will be dramatically different if the gun fits her.

I don't know your wife's experience level but I'm guessing she is a novice (which is super cool).    Your biggest issue isn't the gun/weapon.   Girls don't typically grow up like boys.   We had a BB gun in our hands starting at a very young age.   We got used to shooting birds, cans, frogs, rocks, windows and everything else.    That taught us how to shoot using a variety of different rests or freehand.   Your wife probably doesn't understand how to use a tree, hood, pack, kneeling, sticks as a rest.   I've spent tons of time setting up cans and having my wife shoot all sorts of stuff getting used to just acquiring the target and hitting it.    Actually being able to shoot the gun in hunting situations is by far and away the biggest issue I've seen when getting a woman ready to hunt....... Another huge consideration........keeping her warm.   If they are cold you are going home or wish you were going home.  

I've had a great time hunting with my wife......she has killed buffalo, axis deer, many WT deer, pig, cow elk, bull elk.  but it does come with a grip of challenges.    

thanks for the advice . i really like the keeping her warm part. yes i am trying to get her set up as comfortably as possible so she will want to spend maximum time in the field  

Go to a shop with a large selection and let her pick out one that fits her and feels right.  Shoulder a bunch of them, even if they are the wrong caliber.  You’ll get an idea of what she likes.  

I would stick to 6.5 CM or 7-08. Fun to shoot and you don’t need a brake. If you need more horsepower later, buy her another rifle.  😁

On 10/13/2018 at 7:34 PM, MTNSGT said:

Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor. My wife is pretty small and shoots mine extremely well. I put a bedded Boyd's stock on mine and swapped out the picatinny rail it comes with for an EGW 20MOA. It consistently shoots half inch groups at 100 and I have taken it out to 600 very easily even with cheap ammo. That setup should leave you plenty of room for quality glass and rings. I have well under $2k into mine.

Please post pics of your set up.

On 10/14/2018 at 7:22 AM, Jacob...soaz said:

thanks looks like a sweet gun and good price also. 

You can't go wrong with a Tikka...😉

260 Remington 

Ruger Compact in 7-08 and then put a brake on it.  very light.  lots of factory ammo to select from.

I have a Savage Lightweight Hunter in 7mm-08. Love it. Loaded and scoped, it weighs right around 6 lbs.