Sign in to follow this  
AZ RANGER

1st buck for Camm

Over the years I have been lucky enough to help each of my 3 sons kill their 1st deer when they turned 10 years old. There is  something real special about being with a kid when he kills his first.

All 3 boys got it done in different units. My oldest son was a a leftover tag in 34b. My middle son was in 36c on a general tag and my youngest, Camm, luckily drew a youth tag in 34a. 

We had never really hunted 34a before and our scouting trips mostly yielded places that we didn’t want to hunt.

Luckily, the place we went on opening morning proved to be a good one. Within the first two minutes of glassing light we found two bucks and a few minutes later we had a third. The day ended with 5 bucks and a bunch of does located but no shot opportunities.

Over the next few days this became our theme. We would find bucks, make a stalk, get set up on them,  and wait for the right shot angle. Unfortunately that last part proved to be the hardest. Camm had probably 5 different bucks in his scope before he finally pulled the trigger. Every time he would find them in the scope they would not be broadside or be partially covered by brush or they would start walking right as he would be set. It was starting to get pretty frustrating. 

Finaly the stars all lined up for him and we found a buck in a good spot that gave him plenty of time to get ready for the shot. Even then, we had to reposition three times as the deer moved across the hillside. 

After a couple of not so great shots, he made a great one that sealed the deal. 

Really proud of him and all 3 of my boys that got to be here for this experience. We got up very early every day and climbed up a very steep and long hill every morning and stayed out all day glassing on most days.

They did great. And got along pretty well despite having to fight over a limited number of binos and tripods.

My wife and 3 year old daughter even made a trip to hang out with us one evening. It was fun having them around for sure but we didn’t see many deer that evening haha  

Also big shout out to the mule deer foundation for setting up the youth camp in Sonoita. We only camped there a couple days because it was too far from where we were hunting but it was cool being around all the kids and seeing them so excited about hunting. 

FDF758C4-E8C8-4238-9D96-CBA56F198974.jpeg

98C567F5-E8F9-4077-8D01-4A3453756566.jpeg

ED9C7E4B-1DBA-499F-9511-D15BC5D798C8.jpeg

B639F9CB-CBDF-4D23-83C7-FAA948E45866.jpeg

754A6C74-8824-4035-B3B0-EB8C3B0676DD.jpeg

• Like 20

Awesome stuff! 

You are blessed. 

Nice job Scott!!  Good times right there.

great job dad...nice buck.  I agree..been there twice at 10yrs old and when your kids kill there first its amazing.  

thats a big snake too....they need to go away now

Great job getting it done out there.  Solid first deer and the first of many I’m sure. Nice to hear that he had the patience to wait for the right shot. That snake is downright scary   

3 out of 3 is awesome.  Nice work dad.

That just looks like an absolute blast (minus the snake). Congratulations to Camm on a nice buck and awesome making it a family affair.