Sign in to follow this  
broadhead

Ocotillo as cover?

I got out to a new location last weekend that is at a lower elevation than I am used to hunting for coues and I'm not sure what to make of it. It is an east-west canyon about 1100 yards across at the top so it has pretty good north facing ridges and draws spaced out where I spotted a few does. I was only out about 5 hours but glassed pretty hard until I lost the light. Aside from the draws there isn't a ton of thick cover in that canyon but there are multiple pockets of ocotillo spread throughout the area, mostly at or near the tops of ridges. I didn't spot anything moving in and out of any of them but I only had a few hours in there so far. I've heard bucks really like ocotillo so I guess I'm wondering if I should stick with glassing those pockets and draws or if I should spend my time where there is a little better cover. The area doesn't appear to be highly pressured due to access issues nearby. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

I've seen a lot of deer bedded in Ocotillo over the years!  Probably a good spot, especially if there is water near by.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

They’ll get on their hind legs to eat the flower/fruit off the top. So watch for any ocotillo moving around or against the wind

No kidding? I'd love to see that.

I have seen bedded bucks right in the middle of ocotillo patches.  My daughter had a tag one year and we were set up on a buck in the ocotillo. I told her as soon as he stood up and gave her a shot to take it.  When he finally stood up he took about 2 steps and the shot opportunity was gone.  That stuff can be thick.

• Like 1

Iv'e even seen em eating the green leafs off the ocotillo's  Which they have now cause of recent rains. I love hunting in them areas...........BOB!

Cool thanks guys. I got out there for the last two hours of light yesterday but didn't see a thing. The wind was really blowing so that might have kept them off their feet. Since I've only had a few hours to spend out I've had to stick close to the mouth of the canyon so I think I need to push in a few hundred more yards and see if I can turn a few more deer up. The bucks are probably sitting tight this time of year but with the rut coming up for my next hunt I'm more interested in seeing where the does are hanging out.

• Like 2