Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

Bears and missed shots/spooked

I missed a bear saturday night and he left the country at about mach 12, if that helps. 

• Like 2

No not really. Most animals run after being spooked or shot at. Some come back, some come back more skittish and cautious and others leave, never to return again. That’s what I was getting at. How are bear in that regard.

In my experience bears are guided by their stomach.  It would depend on the availability of food in the area you are in as well as food in neighboring areas.

• Like 1

There a wild animal they do what they want, I would think he's gone

Bears are not at all like deer or elk. Their range is huge. Might move 10 miles in a day or more, just feeding. Watched a sow and a couple cubs move probably 2 miles in about an hour this weekend as well. They weren’t spooked or anything, they just move a lot. If i was a betting man, i would bet the worst place to look for a bear would be the last place you saw it

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Bears are not at all like deer or elk. Their range is huge. Might move 10 miles in a day or more, just feeding. Watched a sow and a couple cubs move probably 2 miles in about an hour this weekend as well. They weren’t spooked or anything, they just move a lot. If i was a betting man, i would bet the worst place to look for a bear would be the last place you saw it

I am getting conflicting stories, from others off this site. As well as experience. My dad shot his bear in a area we were hunting elk and seen him a week before. The bear season started a week after he killed his elk. He went back to the same area we had seen the bear the week before hoping it might be there. Sure enough, it was. Of course it wasn’t spooked either. I have no doubt they move when need be. I was just curious if being spooked made there habits change like big deer do or are they more like javelina and come back after the dust settles, granted they have a reason too like food, etc. I hear from some that hunt bear regularly they have home areas, others on here say they are nomadic. Hmmm

On 10/22/2018 at 9:28 PM, BeardownAZ said:

I am getting conflicting stories, from others off this site. As well as experience. My dad shot his bear in a area we were hunting elk and seen him a week before. The bear season started a week after he killed his elk. He went back to the same area we had seen the bear the week before hoping it might be there. Sure enough, it was. Of course it wasn’t spooked either. I have no doubt they move when need be. I was just curious if being spooked made there habits change like big deer do or are they more like javelina and come back after the dust settles, granted they have a reason too like food, etc. I hear from some that hunt bear regularly they have home areas, others on here say they are nomadic. Hmmm

In the 90's I would run across the same female every year down in 29.

If it helps, we had 2 bears in one canyon 2 saturdays ago, one on top of the canyon and one towards the bottom (1500yrds apart I would say).  Got 127 from the upper one waiting for him to clear some brush and he just vanished, meanwhile the lower bear did as well.  We decided to cut our losses and bug out.  Came back last Sat (1 week later) and found the lower one again and my son was able to get to 250 and done deal.   We did not see the upper one that I assumed got a good whiff of him causing him to disappear. 

Jake bear III.PNG

• Like 2