Sign in to follow this  
elkman

Barrel selection?

I am building a new gun.  Going with a Remington ti 700 action   Want a proof barrel in 6.5 creedmor. Wondering what twist would be best and also length of barrel for best accuracy. Also any recommendation on who could put it together for me.   Thx in advance. 

1:8 if you are shooting the 140+ bullets will work well.  26” will help the speed, without pushing up the pressure too far.  Give Kyle Craig at Craig’s Custom Rifled a call, he had a wealth of knowledge and can do all you work for you.  Heck of a nice guy too.

Proof research is good I have the 260rem with a 24" 1 in 8 twist pushing 140 burgers VLD 2710fps

1:8" twist unless you plan on shooting the 150-160gr bullets, which are a bit heavy for the 6.5CM in my opinion.  If so, 1:7".

22"-26" depending on your end goal.  Very handy, lighter weight mountain rifle for varmint/deer/antelope?  22". General all-around hunting rifle?  24". Long range steel & moderate range deer and antelope? 26". 

Do not overlook the Sendero Light contour either, depending on what stock you plan on running.

Remember, light rifles take a lot more practice and near perfect shooting form to shoot well.  Not that the rifles are any less accurate, just they need more consistent input to be repeatable.  But sure are nicer to carry in the mountains than a 14# LR rifle.

Axisworks in Tempe, AZ has been turning out freaking tack driivers.  I have shot 18-19 of their rifles now (2 of my own and 16-17 others and having my 3rd one built now in 6CM) and all have been sub-half MOA rifles, actually all have been .3" or better, some much better.  The finished product is a work of art.  But wait times are like the best steak restaurant in town on a Friday night...don't expect to get in and out quickly.  But SO worth the wait.

I also have 3 Phoenix Custom Rifles.  All are insanely accurate too (and shot about 10 others).  Some guys don't like PCR, but I have always had great products from them.  They were not working on CF barrels for a while, but I think they are now.

I have shot customs from several.other gunsmiths.  Piercision, Craig's, Lane Precision, LRI, SAC, Defensive Edge, GAP, etc.  Most are amazing rifles.  A few leave some to be desired.  PM me if you want the ones I would NOT go to.

I can echo Lance's point on light rifles. If I don't get on my 6.5 lb 270WIN just right shots can go wide.

Dont be afraid to go a little shorter too.   I put a new 21" (from 26") Brux #3 contour barrel on my 6.5 X 284 a few months ago.   Shooting the 142 grain Nosler accubond LR bullet and getting 3005 FPS.   Didn't really loose any speed to be concerned about.   Though I did loose 5" of barrel weight!!!!!!!!!

Honestly I would like to know the actual weight difference between a proof research barrel and a steel barrel of different tappers at the same length.    Wonder what the weight difference would end up being in the end??????   

On 10/22/2018 at 7:47 PM, elkman said:

I am building a new gun.  Going with a Remington ti 700 action   Want a proof barrel in 6.5 creedmor. Wondering what twist would be best and also length of barrel for best accuracy. Also any recommendation on who could put it together for me.   Thx in advance. 

Do you have your heart set on the 6.5 CM?   Reason I ask is many of the 6.5's are as accurate or more accurate and push much higher velocities.    I personally don't understand the excitement behind this cartridge.   If you are looking for strait accuracy the 6.5 X 47 is probably the most accurate 6.5 in the line up with quite a few close runner ups.   

4 hours ago, recurveman said:

Dont be afraid to go a little shorter too.   I put a new 21" (from 26") Brux #3 contour barrel on my 6.5 X 284 a few months ago.   Shooting the 142 grain Nosler accubond LR bullet and getting 3005 FPS.   Didn't really loose any speed to be concerned about.   Though I did loose 5" of barrel weight!!!!!!!!!

Honestly I would like to know the actual weight difference between a proof research barrel and a steel barrel of different tappers at the same length.    Wonder what the weight difference would end up being in the end??????   

A Bartlein #2b is pretty much the same weight as a Proof Sendero Light of the same length.  Same with a #3 to a Proof Sendero contour.  But, you gain a lot of stiffness with the Proof, and the lack of walking as the barrel heats up is a big benefit if you plan on 3+ shots in a row.  

• Like 2

I do like the thought of a stiffer barrel at the same weight.   The guy I use to chamber my barrels doesn't chamber PR barrels.   

I PLAN on only shooting the gun once......PLAN....... Though for load development I think it is much nicer to have a stiffer/heavier barrel.   I had a heavy palma barrel for awhile and that was nice to shoot on a bench because the recoil was nothing and the barrel didn't walk that much.   A 14# rifle wasn't a blast to hunt with though.   

• Like 2

On 10/22/2018 at 7:47 PM, elkman said:

Mmmm.....ti

I would definitely go with a full lenth proof barrel .  I chronoed  a 6.5 a few weeks ago with a 22 inch barrel @ 2590 

3 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Mmmm.....ti

I would definitely go with a full lenth proof barrel .  I chronoed  a 6.5 a few weeks ago with a 22 inch barrel @ 2590 

That guy needs to rework his loads.  I had a 143 ELD-X @ 2740 from a 21" 6.5CM for a guy I worked up.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

That guy needs to rework his loads.  I had a 143 ELD-X @ 2740 from a 21" 6.5CM for a guy I worked up.  

I agree

thar was factory  Hornady  precision hunter . 

8 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

What would be the velocities of those two say at 500 and 750 yards?