BML

Super Sunday Yote!

Late last night, I decided that I would head out this morning and try to get a few stands in before this snow storm came rolling through today. I made it out to a new area that I have been wanted to try and I am glad I did. I didn't really beat the storm, but decided to make some calls anyway.

First stand was at 7:40 AM. Wind out of the east around 10mph or so and blowing some rain. Nothing on that set.

Second set looked like this. I was actually trying to get set up on the ridge all the way in the back of the photo, but as you can see, the snow had started coming down pretty good there, so I set up real quick to beat it. I had the caller in front of me about 50 yards. The wind was blowing right to left so I was concentrating more to my left to catch the coyote coming in from downwind.

Yotes2-3-8007.jpg

I had the call going for about 5 minutes or so and decided to turn it off. About 2-3 minutes later, this male shows up on a dead run straight downwind from my right!! Go figure! No need to worry, though, since he had already gone by the area where he would have winded me. I must have confused him when I turned the caller off because he never slowed down a bit. He ran right by the caller about 3 feet away. I can only guess that he thought he still had a ways to go before "breakfast".

I gave him a bark and he stopped dead in his tracks and looked my way. Too late!!! One well placed neck shot and it was over. Good thing too, because right after the photo session, the snow caught up to me and I could barely see 20 feet walking back to the truck.

Yotes2-3-8004.jpg

This picture is a little out of focus. I was using the timer on my camera and it focused on something other than me!! haha

Yotes2-3-8005.jpg

I managed two other stands, but the weather was terrible by then and it was time for me to get back home.

Way to get r done! :D

TJ

Nice dog,I was gonna take my son out varmint hunting today but stayed home because of the high winds.Looks like we should have given it a try.

Good deal!

Hope to get out there myself and start popping a few in my neck of the woods when the snow melts some more and it warms up a bit.

Yeah, I don't normally go when the wind is blowing, but I figured what the heck. I am going to be busy for the next several weekends and didn't know if I was going to get out at all before the Antelope Eaters hunt in March. Glad I did though!!

This yote reminded me that just as soon as you think you have them figured out, they fool you. This guy not only came in while the wind was blowing hard and snowing, but he also came straight in with the wind, instead of circling downwind first.