IA Born

Thoughts On A Shotgun: Keep or Sell?

I'm debating on what to do with one particular shotgun, so I thought I'd get some insight from others who may be or have been in this situation.  I'm thinking about selling a shotgun that I don't use and probably never will.  The money will go towards a rifle build for my son when he outgrows his current youth/compact rifle.  The shotgun is a Remington 1100 12 gauge and was my maternal grandfather's.  It has the 28" modified choke barrel and 26" improved cylinder barrel.  I originally got it from my grandpa's collection after he passed so I could give it to my son; however, he now has a modern Tri Star 12 gauge w/ screw-in chokes.  That shotgun will do anything and everything he wants it do and should last him a lifetime once he grows into it.  I was all set to sell my grandpa's 1100 a few months ago, so I called Remington to run the SN.  The SN puts it as a 1963 shotgun, which is among the first runs of Remington 1100s.  The shotgun works great, but is not in pristine shape (not horrible, either) and the action is definitely loose.  I haven't seen anything that really puts it as a collector's item, but I could be missing something.  This shotgun is one of five 12 gauges that I have (not including my son's future 12ga), but is probably the one I have the least sentimental attachment to and will probably never use.  My grandfather and I were close growing up, but we fished together more than we hunted together, so I only really know the shotgun from being in his gun cabinet, me having my own 1100 12ga (magnum), and me trying to buy the 26" barrel from him many years ago.

Any thoughts?  Would you sell it to help fund a build or keep it because its an original 1963 manufacture, knowing you'll probably never use it.

Tough choice. I think he would understand. My son bought himself a Tristar a few years ago. Has been a great gun. I did have to replace the o ring and got it at ACE along with a few spares. I believe it is the same one used on the 1100.

Keep it. I had a somewhat similar experience years back. When my grandfather on my mother's side passed away years back, we were going thru the old barn in Litchfield, MN and came across a very old, rusted out New Aubrey 12G. Mom told me to keep the shotgun (apparently it was my great-grandfather's) and do whatever you want with it. Ended up getting it back here to AZ wondering what the heck I was going to do with it, let it sit? Sell it? Restore it? I chose the latter and took a few months researching it, calling companies on the east coast (Numrich) for parts, etc. Ended up doing a decent job with the restoration and now it has a story to tell. 

Capture3.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

• Like 2

Keep it. I have a bakers dozen of shotguns I don’t use but they came to me in a similar fashion. All work. My rule of thumb, if it was given to me or bought for me I keep it, if I bought it myself then I can do what I want with it.

• Like 3

Guest akaspecials

Keep it. I'm very thankful my grandfather kept the family firearms. I now have a handful of old Marlin single shot shotguns that put food on the table before, during, and after the Great Depression. I wouldn't trade them for anything. They don't become family heirlooms by leaving the family.  

Keep it , best years they made them was up to 72, then they went to crap. but yt were still good.

I dont believe the action is sloppy all 1100's had slop. I have quite a few of them and used them for tournment skeet for 20+ years never had a issue except the oring busting every now and then, even the gas rings re still org.

if you went to sell it then decided you wanted another one, your going to be disappointed  with anything newer. and the price of good condition ones are pretty high.

How bad of condition is it? mind showing pics?,  that would make a slight difference in selling it, however you can buy wood for those in really good shape online. forarms are generally the pcs that split cause people tighten the nut way to tight . proper way is to tighten nut till it stops clicking back off 2-3 clicks and your good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dmoto said:

Keep it. I had a somewhat similar experience years back. When my grandfather on my mother's side passed away years back, we were going thru the old barn in Litchfield, MN and came across a very old, rusted out New Aubrey 12G. Mom told me to keep the shotgun (apparently it was my great-grandfather's) and do whatever you want with it. Ended up getting it back here to AZ wondering what the heck I was going to do with it, let it sit? Sell it? Restore it? I chose the latter and took a few months researching it, calling companies on the east coast (Numrich) for parts, etc. Ended up doing a decent job with the restoration and now it has a story to tell. 

Capture3.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Thats a nice looking Shotgun. gotta luv them with Hammers

• Like 1

wall hang it around some birds maybe

Keep it,the money that it brings will be made up in a couple days work,and you will never be able to buy another gun that he has held.

• Like 2

I have my grandfathers old Remington model 11(?)  square back in a 16 gauge  that was the 1100's predecessor.  I never got the chance to hunt with him, but fished with him on vacation snumerous times  before he died.  He had always told me his guns would be mine as his only grandson when he went, and I have all of them including an old Remington bolt that was prior to the 700.  I have shot and hunted  with them a  few times in his honor, and would never consider selling them.... I hope to pass them to my own grandchild some day along with the stories he used to tell me.  Keep it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Delw said:

Keep it , best years they made them was up to 72, then they went to crap. but yt were still good.

I dont believe the action is sloppy all 1100's had slop. I have quite a few of them and used them for tournment skeet for 20+ years never had a issue except the oring busting every now and then, even the gas rings re still org.

if you went to sell it then decided you wanted another one, your going to be disappointed  with anything newer. and the price of good condition ones are pretty high.

How bad of condition is it? mind showing pics?,  that would make a slight difference in selling it, however you can buy wood for those in really good shape online. forarms are generally the pcs that split cause people tighten the nut way to tight . proper way is to tighten nut till it stops clicking back off 2-3 clicks and your good.

Thanks for the perspectives, fellas.  I've been a huge fan of 1100s most of my life, so that, along with it being a 1963 original, are why I'm hesitant to get rid of it.  The more my son gets into hunting, the more I think he'll appreciate what that shotgun is.  I'll try to get some pics of it this weekend.  The action isn't sloppy, but its not as tight as my 1100 from the mid-80s.  My guess is that its a result of the original spring being in there and it being 55 years old.  I definitely remember my grandpa hunting pheasant with it the few times I went out with him.  I think my biggest problem is that, even though I probably spent the most time with my grandpa hunting and fishing, he favored my cousin (uncle's son), who had the same last name and was named, in part, for our grandpa.  It always bothered me that he never acknowledged any of my accomplishments or asked me about anything I was doing but, every time we were together, I always had my cousin thrown in my face.

I also get what you all are saying about family heirlooms.  One of my most-prized shotguns is an H&R Topper 152 single shot .410 that was my paternal grandpa's.  He gave it to my dad for me to start hunting with when I was about 10ish.  Its the first gun I ever hunted pheasants with.  After my grandpa died, my dad's stepmom asked for it back so she could give it to her new husband.  Dad reluctantly did, but was so angry and hurt.  About 9 years ago, or so, I learned that my dad's sisters were having an estate sale since their stepmom (mom to them) had Alzheimers and her husband died of cancer a year or two prior.  I called my dad's oldest  of his two younger sisters and asked about that shotgun.  She said their younger sister had it, so I called her and plead my case.  That phone call didn't go well and my greedy aunt wasn't pleased that I called her.  Long story short, I got the shotgun back against dad's younger sister's wishes, thanks to my other aunt.  Something along the lines of "You will give him that shotgun.  Its his birthright!"

I'll figure out another way to finance that rifle build, I guess!

• Like 3

I would keep it also.  I have my grandpas Belgian made Browning Automatic that he bought when he was in Europe after he served a mission many years ago.  I am not sure the age because the records were all destroyed during WWII.  I don't imagine I will ever shoot it again but I look forward to passing it down to one of my grandsons when they are old enough.  I shot it for several years when I was younger and had many bruises because of it kicking like a horse.  Good luck with your decision.

I'm with the keep it crowd.  My great grandfather and grandfather on my Dad's side didn't pass on a dang thing other than maybe a propensity to also be an alcoholic.  I'm trying my best to break that cycle.  My two most valued possessions are an old Sears Ted Williams shotgun and an old Wilson Brothers era Black Widow recurve bow that were my Dad's.  Those hunks of metal and wood aren't worth a lot of money but they represent a hunting heritage that my Dad and I shared and hopefully some kid down the line can hold them with the pride that I have and pass them on as well.  

• Like 1