Hey guys I thought I would send this out and hope to get some advice on unit Coues hunting in 36C.  I drew the December hunt that goes from Dec. 14th to the 31st. It is looking like I am going to have to do this hunt solo. I can't find anyone who wants to take a week or more their vacation (or their wives don't want them to take their vacation) to go on my Coues deer hunt. I told my wife I would try to contact some guys that have hunted down there to try to get some advice on where to camp and places that I should avoid for safety reasons. This is my 2nd time hunting Coues in Arizona, my first time I drew 30B and wasn't able to get it done but I had a blast chasing them around, they are so fun to hunt. Any advice on weather or not it is safe to hunt right near the border or if I should maybe venture further North in the unit would be greatly appreciated. I can give pretty solid advice to anyone looking to hunt in Idaho if interested. P.M.s are great too if that is better. Thanks guys/gals. -- R.J.

I have the same tag along with several other folks I know. I hunt down there a lot and there is a lot of good country in there. Usually see a few illegals here and there but never been bothered.  If you are going to camp out there alone the elk horn ranch is probably the road I’d camp on. A lot of other camps in there that time of year and it’s fairly close to the checkpoint. I always keep my water and cooler in the bed of my truck just in case some illegals roll through, rather have water or snacks taken than my truck broken into. I’d recomend to be aware but wouldn’t consider it super dangerous. Good luck! 

NeckRoast,

Thanks for the reply, I will check that area out. The cooler in back is a good idea, I am with you on losing some drinks and food, way better than driving home with no window! Good luck to your group also.

Caballo Loco Ranch LLC. 

The Rv camp is in 36a with about a 14 mile maintained dirt rd to sasabe highway but it’s closer than Tucson and safe.   You can dry camp or full hookups.  Neat little place with library, observatory, full showers and bathrooms that are clean. I’ve stayed there three times while hunting 36c and will be going back. 

Thanks for the responses guys, It definitely gives me some options to explore. Grey Curse do they make the showers available for a price even if you camp elsewhere?   I like your user name by the way, I seem to have the curse of not being able to get a Couse. This is going to be my 4th hunt for the grey ghost. Two in N.M. and this will be the second one in Arizona. Hopefully going to break my curse!

I’m sure it will happen for you this year.  The late December hunt should be great this year with as much rain and cooler it’s been.   Not sure about the showers but you should call them, I’ll bet they would work something out.   Oh and I believe they have 2 rooms to rent out as well but u would have to reserve early.