Sign in to follow this  
goma

Hopi Cow Hunt

Tag soup, no elk cheeseburger no coke. Had what I feel was a challenging hunt on the Hopi reservation. There were only 25 tags, and I think 23 of them were on the east sunset mtn

valleys judging by the vehicles. I only hunted thru tuesday due to a Wed. appt. Great weather except for tuesday with pounding rain and reports of a tornado touching down about

19 miles to the north.

I varied my approach to stalking tracks, sitting water sitting bluffs etc. Saw a bull the second morning about 450-500yds off, then a cow the following two mornings, about the same

distance running away from me. One sitting and glassing, the other two stalking. The wind was mild for the first 3 days, really picked up on Monday, Also scared up a couple of deer

and some truly huge jack rabbits. There is a lot of water in the section I hunted, 2 tanks, a pond about 1-2acres and plenty of water catched from recent rains. I chose this area

from a previous scout trip, primarily due to the amount of tracks (fresh as the ground was soft) and a natural barrier, "jacks canyon" running about 1-2 miles inland towards west sunset.

As far as other hunters, I only heard one gunshot friday morning frm the east sunset mtn. Do not know if he tagged or if there were other shots taken wed and thursday.

I'll try to attach a few piic's below. Hunting the pinyons  is quite challenging, and those successful have my respect.

regards,

goma

1020181745_HDR.jpg

1021181526.jpg

1019181049.jpg

1019181049.jpg

1022180756.jpg

1021181639.jpg

• Like 3

You had the forest service green truck with the quad in the back? I saw you coming and going in off the hwy a few times. That was probably me you heard shooting opening morning. I was glassing for my grandson and of course, they ran from him to me. Didn't hear a lot of shooting during the hunt. We saw that tornado funnel that afternoon, couldn't believe what we were seeing.

• Like 1