I want to take my new rifle build to Mexico for a Coues deer hunt. I finally recieved my 6.5 WSM stamped brass. I ran the brass throug my press. I loaded my first round, tried on my rifle and encountered a problem.. the bolt did not close . I tried the empty brass on my rifle and it worked perfectly however, the loaded round did not work. I loaded another one...a empty one, (bullet only no primer, no powder) and did not work either.  The brass neck was at .295 and empty they did work; but once I put or set the bullet in they were not working or feeding into my rifle. It looks like I have a tight rifle chamber?.  I had to turn or trim the necks down to .292 and BINGO! they did work! my rifle was feeding / ejecting them no problem.

Once I got that issue solved I headed to the shooting range to test my loads. I'm using Hornadys ELD Match 140 gr bullet with 64 1/2 grs of H1000 and I'm at 3093 fps. I really liked the results..see picture with 4 shots at 100 yards. There were no feeding/ejecting problems and fired brass looks good.

On a side note... I also tried the Nosler Long Range Accubonds in 142 gr. I tried them with 66 1/2 grains of Retumbo Powder at 3095 fps but for some reason I couldn't get them to group; they were at .750 or 1 inch groups.

My questions for you guys and/or Doug (Redrabbit) are:

1) Should I leave the Hornadys right there where they are or should I try to load hotter/faster?

2) What can I do to tight the groups on the accubonds or I should not botter and stick to the Hornadys?

Thanks everyone.

Ernesto C. 

Bertram Brass Hornadys 140s 64.5 grs H1000.jpg

Not excited about shooting a match bullet at deer/elk.   I used to shoot the berger bullets out of my 6.5 X 284 and didn't care for the results on fur.    Though it did kill paper really dead.   Switched to the 142 grain nosler long range accubond.   I have shot pretty good groups with them but haven't had the right conditions/time to really test the bullets like needed.   They will shoot well under MOA right now without trying.   I'm sure they will do better.    Most guys are coming off the lands .100 or so.......seems like a long ways to me.   I'm .20 off the lands currently and my groups are sub MOA.   

Now for the important stuff.   Whacked a mule deer in CO with the bullet last week.   I was very impressed with the results.    It knocked the deer into the dirt and it didn't even twitch.   Shot the buck right behind the shoulder on entry and exited through the shoulder on the other side.    BANG FLOP.    The internal damage was great too.   I had the berger bullets go through a few to many animals and not do enough damage but the ABLR bullet dumped plenty of energy into the critter.   

The ELD - X bullet does look interesting.   I would like to put them on a scale and take a few measurements.    The Nosler ABLR bullets are not in the same league as the berger bullets when it comes to consistency.    Time out busting primers will tell me more over the next few months about the consistency of the ABLR.   Bought 500 new pills so I need to figure out how to make them work.   

currently I'm shooting plenty of grains of 4350 powder getting 3005 FPS with the ABLR bullet.  

Here is what I did to find my max pressures.   I loaded up cartridges up with .5 more grains until I hit max.    Took me about 15-20 rounds and then the bolt started getting sticky and I shut it down.    Then I did a ladder test with about 10 loads below max going in .4 grain increments until I saw the powder weight I wanted to shoot.   I'm not at max but I believe I'm the last node before max.    My guess is you are leaving 100-200 FPS on the table.   You might as well take it.    That is why you are shooting that cartridge.   So, I would go find max and work down from there.   Now my father in law shoots long range competitions.   Typically they don't shoot the node just below max.    They shoot the second node below max.   They might give up 50-75 FPS to gain some consistency and maybe some barrel life, recoil, brass life, ect.    For me..........I say burn it down.    I won't ever burn the barrel up anyways.   

• Like 1

The Hornady match will work just fine!  I've killed a bunch of animals using match bullets!

• Like 1

Hornady ELD-M are great deer bullets. I shoot the 130’s out of my .264 wm and shoot the 120’s out of my GF’s creedmoor. I shot a coues a few days ago at 450 yards with my .264. Hit him pretty far back but the bullet still exited and it dropped him where he stood. 

• Like 2

I have read many good results with Berger VLDs and Scenars on deer.  The 147 ELDM is getting good reviews too. 

You might try seating the ABLR a little deeper so they have a jump like a VLD.  You did not say how far off the lands you were. 

http://www.bergerbullets.com/vld-making-shoot/

I had poor luck with accuracy of 129LRAB in my 6.5CM, but have not tried them in my 6.5WSM.  I had good accuracy success with H1000 and Ramshot Magnum, but not Retumbo using 130 Accubonds, 130 Sciroccos and 130 Bergers.

Are your 3-shot groups a sample of 1 and possible flukes?  Try a few 5-shot groups with each load.

• Like 1

Thats pretty much my pet load for every 6.5WSM I have built. They like it right there. Turning the necks is key as you found out. Great cartridge and it will do wonders on deer a long ways out there. 

• Like 1