GreyGhost85

Finally got a good one...

Killing a nice coues has always been something that has eluded me. I’ve killed a bunch of them over the years but never one that i would consider nice, or big. I have been fortunate enough to take some real good elk, mulies, antelope, bear, etc. but coues have always kicked my butt. Having killed 3 between 95-98” my goal is always to take a 100” buck. This year was no different. 

I’ve been chasing one particular buck for 3 years now but i have never seen him hard-horned. My goal was simple this year, kill that buck. I have hunted him endlessly through archery and rifle season with no luck. I spend a LOT of time scouting and running cameras so i know most of the deer that are in the area i hunt. As soon as the bucks shed their velvet this year, i lost track of all the “shooter” bucks i have been watching. I can’t for the life of me figure out where they go. 

Well, the opening morning of my rifle hunt rolled around and Jason, my brother and myself found ourself at our glassing point. Jason had a tag with me and my brother was there to help out. We started seeing deer right away but nothing special. After covering all the country in our immediate vicinity, my eyes started to wander to the country I’m sure we all look at with the thought of “why am i glassing so far away?” 

I mentioned to my brother that i could see a couple deer waaaaayyy out there and he told me pretty much what i was thinking to myself. Why the he!! was i looking over there. I figured i was looking at a couple does anyways, so i got back to glassing the more approachable country around us. A few minutes later my brother told me he spotted some more deer waaaay out there where i was looking and one looked like a decent buck.

Not getting too excited, i pulled out the big eye and looked him over. He was a decent buck, but not what i was after. We kind of forgot about him and got back to business. A little while later someone was looking over him again and he seemed a lot bigger than we thought. Another look through the big eye confirmed there were two bucks. We could tell they were both at least decent with one being larger than the other. 

We watched the bucks bed and made a plan. Jason and i would make a very long and what should have been “low percentage” stalk to see how the bucks looked from much closer. The stalk worked out great. We found ourselves 450ish yards from the bedded bucks. After a quick look, i decided to try to shoot the bigger buck. A few minutes later he stood up and walked through a narrow shooting lane. I fired and the shot found it’s mark. Buck down. After the celebration ended we  noticed the other buck was still standing there and Jason decided he was big enough. A few minutes and one shot later we had two bucks dead within feet of eachother.

I never got a great look at the buck i shot i just knew had a good frame and could tell he had a bit of funk on his rack. When we got to the bucks, i was pleasantly surprised. He was not the buck i was after but he is one i could not pass. Jason’s buck was also a little better than we thought. Nothing like an opening morning double-down on a couple good bucks.

06DAD54A-1638-4E54-A36E-BFC05F4BA13F.thumb.jpeg.91e340a361eec7345034d1da922222cb.jpeg

B83F8EB2-80CA-4241-B8B3-B27F2E018451.thumb.jpeg.dd80f3d9b9d258c8f44dedba83b65221.jpeg

545B997C-ACEE-421D-94C6-0569F41C4C1D.thumb.jpeg.630aac6dec06ce52ee0a839dc91f1a9d.jpegEB07C796-4EBE-451D-B6C2-A4D11E39F3E7.thumb.jpeg.ca9eaac983770f3e3e7f3676b43f3541.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Great Buck! 1
  • Wow! 1

Those are some really nice Bucks!  You are very blessed to have a chance at those on opening morning.  Great job and Congrats!!!!

• Like 1

Awesome bucks man! Congrats!

• Like 1

Great bucks I hope I can find something like that on my upcoming 21 hunt 

• Like 1

Congrats to you both! Love that knarly rack!

• Like 1