Sign in to follow this  
joe hunter

If you had the points....

Which of these two units  would you want to draw ? I am pretty sure,  but who knows.... that I have enough points as a non res to draw early archery 27 or 1 . Some guys say go for 27 others say go for 1 . I started putting in for AZ elk a long time ago and would like to draw out this next year and be done with buying points every year and just stay right here in the land of enchantment. 

• Like 1

They are both Awesome units!  If you are physically fit, I would recommend 27.  You can get away from the crowds a little easier in 27.  Either unit will be an Awesome hunt!  You really can't go wrong with either!

I would go 1. My wife and kids hunt 27, and we always run into people. I have only ran into one person in 1. Both are great units, can't really go wrong. 

For about 25 years prior to the wallow fire I spent a week in one or both of those units for archery deer and turkey. I never had a favorite out of the two. If I were in your position one thing I would do would be to check the most current Google Earth images of both units to see which would have the bigger problem regarding large areas of criss cross deadfall timber. Packing an elk a long-distance distance through that stuff would really suck

• Like 2

300rum I talked to a guy that spends a lot of time in 27and he said the same thing about the dead fall. He said he would go for 1 .  I live where a big fire came through a few years ago, about 7 years ago and it is a &#@“& in places !

• Like 1