Sign in to follow this  
Martin

Late season 7e for Elk

A lot of pressure no matter where you go. Last time I hunted 7E it was -15. A cold front came in. Only tip I have is cover a ton of ground man, this is not an easy unit.

I have a 7e late season tag also. Never hunted in Arizona before. I knew it was not a good unit when I applied but I would rather go than stay at home. Been trying to get info from the game and fish office in flag staff (not going well) tried searching any site that had any 7e info (not much out there) read game and fish sites, joined go hunt (frustrating) The little bit of info that I read for the late season said that the bull elk will not be high and should be in the 7000’-8000’ range. Not sure how good that info is. Elk are scattered through out the area, keep moving and look for fresh sign, glass? Wish I had a solid starting point. Planing on tenting in a seekout side tipi with wood stove close to where I decide to hunt. I would spike out but looks like there are to many roads. 

• Like 1

Cow or Bull?

Be prepared for anything from 50+ degree highs to cold as heck. The wind is the killer up there.

Check high, middle, and low. Find fresh sign and hunt hard. I shot my cow elk low in the unit a few years ago when water was plentiful, but the very next season on the same hunt the water down low was gone, and we didn't see much elk til the end of the hunt when we found some in the middle elevations. 

I like to camp low southeast of Babbitt lake, and commute to higher elevations if necessary. 

7E has been getting worse as an elk unit over the last 5+ years. There are to many tags. Hopefully they change that soon. 

Harley

Thanks for the reply. I have a bull tag and was looking at a area about 10 miles north of the mountain to start my search. From google earth it looks like there isn’t much for tree cover anywhere below ( it never looks like what I think it will). 

Further north in the unit is better than hunting the mountain now. The Peaks hunts have decimated the elk herds on the mountain. No big bulls left up there and they get pushed up to 10-11k feet. There will also be a lot of people out there so expect to see hunters in whatever area you decide to hunt in

Bring good optics.  Glass until your eyes bleed.  Tough hunt.  There are elk, but they are in the thick PJs and hard to find.  There are still some big bulls, but not many.

Also dont be afraid to look in the flat lands to the north with no trees. If there is water there could be elk. 

I saw some big elk tracks at a water tank that didn't have a tree within 2 miles of it.

I have the same hunt.

its going to be cold- and dependent on snow. Biggest tip I can give you because you’re going to be high glassing: dress for the artic wind. 

If it is cold and has been cold start in the middle and work low. Look for water and sign. When you find both hunt there.

A set of 15s or a spotter on a tripod will be helpful.