Guest akaspecials

Desert Backpacking Buck (October Rifle 2018)

Guest akaspecials

For the last month or so I’ve gotten off work on Friday, grabbed a quick dinner on my way out of town, and hiked 4 to 5 miles in the dark to get to my deer spot. I’d spend all day Saturday scouting and try to run home on Saturday night so the family didn’t think I’d abandoned them (which is a legitimate concern of theirs August- January). As season got closer, the scouting turned into full weekends; hiking out Sunday afternoon or even waiting until the last bit of light before making the trek back home. As opening morning approached, I had located 5 bucks and was fairly certain that given a few days back there I could help get my buddy, Tojo, his first deer.

I wish there was more story than that, but we backpacked in, glassed them up at 400 yards, and closed the distance. Tojo made a perfect 60 yard shot with a 30-06 to kill his first buck. He field dressed and deboned it on his own and had the buck on ice, 4 to 5 miles away, in less than 3 hours. Not bad for a newbie! Anyways, it’s always nice to have hard work pay off and we are thankful for the buck and the wilderness areas that this great state provides.

Thanks for sharing your adventure. It’s great when things go as plan. Congrats on a fine buck. 

Why didn’t you just shoot it at 500?

(In need of sarcasm font)

Nice job and congrats to both of you! That’s some serious commitment to a friendship right there.

• Like 1

Great job helping your pal. I've learned that in hunting you always try and appreciate when "a plan comes together." Almost thinking "man that was too easy!" Get out of that frame of mind immediately and just enjoy it! Hahahaha. We're humbled to many times to not thoroughly enjoy the times where it all pans out.

Congratulations to both of you. Thanks for sharing but we need more.

I love the 4-5 mi hiking in the dark and backpacking, but there is no way I am sleeping on the ground, in the desert, in AUG-SEPT. 

Tell us more of the scouting adventure.

You haul in your cot! Hammock?