SHOOTER

How is YOUR coldbore?

So its been a while since I've posted  but I've got a question or two. I've been shooting long range ( 700 + yards )  off and on for about 10 years. I have just got to the point where I can coldbore shoot an MOA sized gong at 1000 yards. It took lots of shooting but with my data I have collected I feel like any given day,temp,elevation etc I can make a coldbore shot out to 1000 with my .338 ...that being said I'm not trying to brag, it took me way longer that I would have liked and I still could never bring myself to shoot an an animal that far. The thought of wounding an animal because of a botched shot makes me sick.

So seeing all the 700-1300 yards kills now days makes me wonder if I'm missing something? Are people shooting this good? Or are they getting some sighter shots in to get it done? What's your shooting experience and how far do you feel comfortable with a coldbore shot? Thoughts? Opinions?  

This isn't to start a argument. Or bash other hunters. It's more of a question to see how other long range shooters feel they can perform on a coldbore shot. 

Have you thought about going back to where ever you are seeing these 700-1300 kill shots and ask them directly ?

Good question. Aside from here I don't have any social media accounts. So most of these kills I see are shown or told to me so I dont ask. But when I'm talking to the person that made a long shot I will ask them how many shots it took to hit. I've had some interesting answers. But it isn't often I am able to talk to the shooter. 

It’s probably less confrontational to do it this way.

I have a friend who shot an elk at 624. There was a lot of shooting. The bore was definitely not cold by the time he put that bull down.

There may have needed to be some cooling time on that barrel.

13 minutes ago, oz31p said:

So this thread will be to help you understand hearsay? 

This should be fun to watch. 

Looks to me like he asked for first hand info about people’s experiences. Not sure why you took it where you did.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, oz31p said:

So this thread will be to help you understand hearsay? 

This should be fun to watch. 

I thought this might turn into a good discussion but this might be going down hill fast. The reason as stated above is to see if there are some good shooters among us or if people are just buying these high end rifles and throwin lead. I thought it would be interesting to see how well people can shoot ,how much they practiced ect.. so answer the questions, contribute to the discussion or move on. 

So, you think that if you start a post on a controversial subject, you get to control the opinions that you get?   😲

7 hours ago, SHOOTER said:

I thought this might turn into a good discussion but this might be going down hill fast. The reason as stated above is to see if there are some good shooters among us or if people are just buying these high end rifles and throwin lead. I thought it would be interesting to see how well people can shoot ,how much they practiced ect.. so answer the questions, contribute to the discussion or move on. 

Sorry Shooter you obviously haven’t met the flat-brim-6.5-or-die-I-don’t-smile-for-pics-#longrangeshooting crowd that frequents these places. They can’t be questioned.

As for my first hand experience, the two people I have seen take 600+ yd shots on animals required more than one shot to seal the deal. In fact both were more than 5 shots.

Maybe Lance will jump in here. I think he took his bull last year at 700+ and I don’t think he heated up the barrel doing it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Looks to me like he asked for first hand info about people’s experiences. Not sure why you took it where you did.

I though we were having a discussion. I was trying to understand the question. 

People don’t like long range hunting and that’s fine. Just come out and say it. 

I don’t wear a flatbill or own a 6.5 of any kind. I don’t have any social media or understand why people use a pound sign. 

That said i practice a ton but season appropriate. The few months prior to what ever season it it. Archery archery, pistol pistol. But shoot a rifle all year long. 

Longest cold bore one shot kill was a mule deer buck was about 8years ago at 775. 

I know a friend of a friend has an 7rm from the 70s, mounted a scope a few days ago. Zeroed with Hornady  Percision hunter and asked me to print a load chart out to 1000yards for him. His hunt is in like 10 days. Talked about setting up for failure. 

I didn’t set up a drop chart for the record. He has no plans to do any more shooting before the hunt because he only bought to one box of ammo. He is going to scout the unit for the first time this weekend.  Lolol

• Confused 1

Man can't even ask a honest question anymore on this sight without the little  penis  patrol going off. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Interesting how things go sideways so easily. I took SHOOTERS question at face value, "Are one shot kills the norm or does it take several rounds downrange to seal the deal"? Or there about. Shooter if I am wrong correct me. I am a fairly good shot and have done ok in competitions of several types over the decades. To date taken two Coues first shot cold bore at 300 two misses at 400. The 400 yd shots 30% uphill bad light & so so rifle rest. One off hand 300yd on Elk and one 375yd on Elk. All with normal to light weight hunting rifles with 6X and 9X scopes. One hunter that I know who seriously competes at rifle matches has about a 500yd limit for himself, also with normal weight hunting rig. As longer range rigs go my only experience is PRS competition. We get about 60 shooters at our matches and maybe the top 5 can put first shot and subsequent shots on target at 1000yd consistently. For me 600yd is the range I can put first and follow up shots on target consistently. 

• Like 1