SHOOTER

How is YOUR coldbore?

never shot a animal that far. as far as cold bore first shot hits at distances further than say 850 yards they take a few shots with good data for me.

I went and shot a silouete style gong at 1320 yards and was unable to make contact with the 6.5 but it took 5 shots to get it with the 338 lapua. it seems for me that after about 700 yards it may take a sighting shot or two.

I took a cow elk at about 460 first shot hit and kill and  a coues at 540 first shot hit and kill.

the first year i had a tag in my pocket after filling my head on this web site of how to shoot long range was 7 clean misses leading to alot of practice and learning and purchase of equipment to make correct calculations

• Like 1

Well I like to practice out to 600-1000 yards.   Problem is I keep getting to close to the animals.    Longest shot to date was 450 yards on a cow elk in CO a few years back.   She dropped like a rock.   Shot a WT down south at 406 yards.   Hit exactly where I aimed.   Other than those two shots I've only shot past 200 yards once.   All my archery kills are under 35 yards.   I guess shooting a long ways is cool.   I think getting closer is even more cool.  

The biggest issue is the guns and range finders today.    I know a ton of guys that shoot a sub MOA group at 100 yards and then say they are ready to shoot out to 1000 yards with their custom gun and super cool range finder.   If someone spends even a small amount of time shooting long ranges they will realize that a sub MOA gun really is a very small part of the equation for hitting a target out past 600 yards.   

I like being ready to shoot a very long shot.   Not sure it would every really happen out in the field though.   I think hitting a WT past 600 yards is really, really tough to do on the first shot.   Keep in mind that deer frequently are moving, getting a rest in a prone position is tough, conditions are changing, getting a solid range, change in elevation, ect.   Lots of variables change the POI out past 600 that will easily cause a miss.  

I really echo what the OP said.   I like to shoot longer ranges to work on my skill set but in reality my max hunting range is probably in the 600ish range depending on external variables and the situation.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Man can't even ask a honest question anymore on this sight without the little  penis  patrol going off. 

Ok now I’m really lost.  There is a lot of information and questions in the original post all I did was ask for a little clarification.  

Yes I have a small penis but I don’t see its relevant to this thread 

We definitely need a  Tone and sarcasm font. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

My longest shots on game we're a lion at 653 and a coues at 684 both one cold bore shot both hit high on the shoulder and both collapsed we're they stood. I have taken a coyote on the first shot at 980 yds. The lion and deer were shot with a 270 Wsm and a 130 Swift Scirrocco, and the coyote with a 22-250 Ai and a 80 gr Berger vld.

41 minutes ago, dse said:

My longest shots on game we're a lion at 653 and a coues at 684 both one cold bore shot both hit high on the shoulder and both collapsed we're they stood. I have taken a coyote on the first shot at 980 yds. The lion and deer were shot with a 270 Wsm and a 130 Swift Scirrocco, and the coyote with a 22-250 Ai and a 80 gr Berger vld.

Do you need practice shooting sessions? How much practice time do you have to put in? 

Thanks for the responses. These are the answers I was looking for!

Looks like some guy's are doing some real good  long range coldbore shots on game. 

For me it seemed like out to 700 was pretty doable. But after that is really when the conditions really started to come into play. 800+ took alot of shooting and data collecting to finally get consistent. The wind has been the hardest to get a handle on.  The wind picks up a little and my coldbore hits are out the window. 

Shot my buck at 425 yards this year. First shot was 2.5” low. I missed a few more as he was running down the hill and put a two more into him at 350ish yards. 

I can cold bore steel out to 850 yards or so, animals I struggle with because I get too excited. Last two years I’ve averaged about 800 rounds of practice a year.

edit,

Woody I’m also part of the small penis club.

• Like 2

Shoot brings up a good point. but there are a ton of variables that are involved.

cold bores are generally taken to mean cleaned firearms. been shooting pdogs for years an thousands and thousands of rounds.

a cold bore will be off a tad how much depends on the firearm, how old or new the barrels is etc etc and believe it or not the shooter.  my hunting firearms I go to do a 3-10 shot zero so to speak to make sure nothing changed, then I dont clean the barrel until the season is finished. my yote guns I clean maybe every 10-20 trips. if you clean the barrels on them you have a huge chance at that cold shot being out alot  over 500 yards even 300 yards in some cases. if your gun shoots a cold bore that far out where your missing your target at 200 yards and you know its the firearm time for a rebarrel or junk the gun. off hand shooting its definately the shooter not the fire arm unless its really worn out.

what few people dont realize its mostly the shooter in most cases on a fresh shot. your body and mind just int ready for the shot, you jump flinch etc etc. even experienced shooters need a few shots to warm up the body and be mentally able to get the shot.

I have buddies that clean there rifle after every 5 shots. they have worked up loads in there firearms to minimize cold shots and to know exactly where the rifle will hit at with a clean bore and what to expect will happen with shots 2 -3 etc. the worst cold shot caliber I have ever seen was a varmit 25-06 in both a ruger and a Remington. both shot the same on cold bores using moly bullets. both were broken in the exact same way by the same guy. he hated those firearms thats why I own them.

Best thing to do is dont clean the barrel after you sight in until your hunt is finished as far as the mind just shoot alot.

to see if your firearm is a sucker for cold shots. clean it shoot it then shoot it alot and dont clean it go out another time and shoot it with out cleaning it you will be surprised. There was a great Article by Rick Jamison around the late 80's about thisl

17 minutes ago, AZAV8ER said:

Do you need practice shooting sessions? How much practice time do you have to put in? 

I would guess on most years I shoot between 2 and 3000 rds of center fire rifle. Though I'm not any where near that this year.

I shoot about 2500-3000 rounds a year of centerfire rifles.  Probably 800 or so at 400 to 1700+ yards.  My personal hunting rifles are verified at long range for actual drops.   

Here are some shots over the last 4-5 years.  A lot of other 1st round one shot kills from 18 to 350 yards that will not add to this discussion.  I can not think of many that needed a second shot.  Maybe 1 bull @ 250 just to anchor him at last light.  

662 yds, bull elk, 1 shot, within .5" of POA.  7RM w. 180 Hybrid @ 2996fps  Bull went 50+/- yards

772 yards, coyote, 1 shot.  7RM w. 180 Hybrid @ 2996fps  Coyote ran 40 yards

637 yds, mule deer buck, 1 shot, with wind drift about 4" R from POA (still shattered both shoulders, vertebra, and top of both lungs) deer dropped at the shot and never moved.  6.5 SLR w. 127 LRX @ 3060fps (by my 14 year old daughter)

1365 yds, 2 coyotes, 2 shots.  .300RUM w. 230 Hybrid @ 3068fps  Coyotes flopped about 20 yards downhill

1323 yards, coyote, 2 shots.  .250AI w. 100SMK @ 3100fps  Coyote spun about 4 times and dropped

488 yards, mule deer buck, 1 shot.  .25-06AI w. 100 TTSX @ 3600fps  Never took a step

432 yds, bull elk, 1 shot.  .300RUM w. 215 Hybrid @ 3100fps (son-in-law)  Dropped at the shot

1201 yards, squirrel, 1 shot.  .300RUM w. 230 Hybrid @ 3068fps  Flew about 20' in the air in a tangled mess

Here are a couple of the misses (names will be withheld):

Bull elk @ 882, shot right over his back (because shooter misunderstood when I told him to "hold right on his shoulder", and he held the top of the shoulder....right where the vapor trail showed)  .300RUM w. 215 Hybrid @ 3100fps

Big mule deer @ 851, saw bullet impact dirt just below belly.  Watched that deer play cat and mouse with the hunter for 45 minutes, never offering another shot.  6.5 SLR w. 140 HVLD @ 2950fps

I can't count the number of shots NOT taken because conditions did not allow what I consider a guaranteed kill shot or a possible recovery.  Not so much distance, but mainly wind, cover, weather, proximity to nasty terrain for recovery, etc., 

I have missed more archery shots than rifle by far.  And 80% of those were at freaking turkeys.

• Like 5

Man I didn't mean anyone has a small penis, sorry, it's just every topics seems to go south, I guess I just wish I was a cool kid. I can only shoot 70yrds with my bow. Didn't mean to insult anyone.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Man I didn't mean anyone has a small penis, sorry, it's just every topics seems to go south, I guess I just wish I was a cool kid. I can only shoot 70yrds with my bow. Didn't mean to insult anyone.

I was wondering how you knew🤪

with out tone or inflection” going south” and lively discussion looks the same 

1201 yard squirrel?!?  I knew you were a bada55 lance but I guess I didn’t quite expect that!!  That has to be some kind of record.  I may as well quit hunting.......