SHOOTER

How is YOUR coldbore?

Hate flat brims but my daughter lets me use her 6.5 on my hunts. So far it’s had one 425yd cold bore one-shot kill and watched the buck fall in the scope. Not as long as you’re asking about, but I doubt I’d shoot much farther at an animal just due to doubting my own abilities. 

• Like 2

My best is my.270wsm clean cold bore. I have not tested it beyond 100 yards yet. Long range to be determined, 5 shot group...............

20180820_145451~4.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yotebuster said:

1201 yard squirrel?!?  I knew you were a bada55 lance but I guess I didn’t quite expect that!!  That has to be some kind of record.  I may as well quit hunting.......

It was freaking hilarious.  I was just getting ready to squeeze off a shot at 1181, and a squirrel popped up about 10' to the right and behind.  I ranged again real quick, and told the spotter to watch.  He was sitting on top of a rock, and it was far enough away that I got back on target after the shot broke to watch the hit. I hit about 1-2" low on the angled rock, and the shrapnel blew him 20' in the air spiraling in a tangle of....parts.  My spotter said, "No....FU<#!NG.... WAY!".   I remained calm like it was no big deal.....

I consider it my best shot ever.

• Like 7
  • Wow! 1

1 hour ago, lancetkenyon said:

It was freaking hilarious.  I was just getting ready to squeeze off a shot at 1181, and a squirrel popped up about 10' to the right and behind.  I ranged again real quick, and told the spotter to watch.  He was sitting on top of a rock, and it was far enough away that I got back on target after the shot broke to watch the hit. I hit about 1-2" low on the angled rock, and the shrapnel blew him 20' in the air spiraling in a tangle of....parts.  My spotter said, "No....FU<#!NG.... WAY!".   I remained calm like it was no big deal.....

I consider it my best shot ever.

Well....  if that's the best you can do, I guess it'll have to work.... ;)

• Like 1

I reckon this won't go over well, but the thing I don't fully understand is how people can 'miss' multiple times at a distance they obviously can't shoot and feel good about continuing to shoot.  I watched a guy miss 10-12 shots this last Sat, then shoot 3 more about 2 hours later (he got that deer by god).  I was skinning a bear at that point that we choose to get 250yrds from vs shooting the exact same distance that he was shooting from at a deer at the top of the same canyon.  What really confuses me is he had a ridge 300yrds closer that he had to get to anyway to collect the animal.  Turning a 700+ into a 400+in just a matter of 20-30min (way less than the time period of all the shooting going on).  I cringe at the thought of how many of those misses are actually hoofs and legs that at that distance the shooter isn't going to investigate unless the animal hits the dirt. I even heard his spotter say at one point, 'I think you hit him', then a good 5 min and 3 shots later, ' I don't think you did'.  That's just too far if you aren't sure and just stop shooting.   Anyway, for those of you with the skill the practice under all of the conditions that we all know happen--that's awesome, but the glorification of it and the equipment alone doesn't make it possible for the other 98% of us and it's unfortunate that some of % of that, thinks they can and trys to the detriment of the those animals wounded and ultimately to our opportunity.  Good luck all!    

• Like 6

17 hours ago, jdown said:

I reckon this won't go over well, but the thing I don't fully understand is how people can 'miss' multiple times at a distance they obviously can't shoot and feel good about continuing to shoot.  I watched a guy miss 10-12 shots this last Sat, then shoot 3 more about 2 hours later (he got that deer by god).  I was skinning a bear at that point that we choose to get 250yrds from vs shooting the exact same distance that he was shooting from at a deer at the top of the same canyon.  What really confuses me is he had a ridge 300yrds closer that he had to get to anyway to collect the animal.  Turning a 700+ into a 400+in just a matter of 20-30min (way less than the time period of all the shooting going on).  I cringe at the thought of how many of those misses are actually hoofs and legs that at that distance the shooter isn't going to investigate unless the animal hits the dirt. I even heard his spotter say at one point, 'I think you hit him', then a good 5 min and 3 shots later, ' I don't think you did'.  That's just too far if you aren't sure and just stop shooting.   Anyway, for those of you with the skill the practice under all of the conditions that we all know happen--that's awesome, but the glorification of it and the equipment alone doesn't make it possible for the other 98% of us and it's unfortunate that some of % of that, thinks they can and trys to the detriment of the those animals wounded and ultimately to our opportunity.  Good luck all!    

I think it will go over better than you think.    There are 3 groups of guys.   First group is a guy that shoots a sub moa hole at 100 yards and is confident that he can now shoot 1000 yards with his $6,500.00 custom gun and the same amount of money spend on optics.   That guys is very dangerous and you got to see him in action the other day.   Second group is a guy that shoots out to longer distances and realizes that it is really hard to shoot past 400-500 yards and you need a superior skill set to shoot past 600 yards.   These guy will likely cap off their effective range off at 400-600 yards and will work to get closer if the critter is past that range.   The third group of guys shoot a bunch and they are probably more into the shooting than that hunting.    They live to mess with guns, reloads, shooting and everything that has to do with shooting a long distance.   This group has a chance of consistently (not just getting lucky) of hitting a target past 600 yards with only one shot.......not needing a box of ammo.   There are very few guys in this group.   Personally I don't know one that fits in this category but I'm sure there is a guy or two on this website that fits into this group.   

I put myself into the second group.   

• Like 4

I am definitely in the 2nd group.  Envious of those in the 3rd and just a little (ok a lot) tired of those in the first.  And I'm sure the guys I saw the other day (and the not the first ones I have a seen) are good guys and good hunters and practice and probably can even make that shot at the range 7 or 8/10 times but so many variables in the field and I still think part of hunting is making the walk or stalk.  I'm concerned of the trend I see on here as well with kids getting behind the rifle and shooting theirs at 600+ (essentially the hunt consists of only pulling the trigger) and what this looks like a generation from now. Anyway, I don't know how it can be controlled (nothing illegal about it) and it looks like self control isn't going to get it done, so I guess the only thing to do is keep your head down when stalking to 400 because the chances someone is going to be lobbing bullets over your head while you do is pretty darn great anymore (I guess more chance at dead heads from the wounds too is a plus for those of us that still walk out there that is).  I do have a having to slice a buck's throat after dark story helping a guy out that spined a buck at a 800yrd shot right at dark, and deer dropped, but an hour after dark when we got there, the buck was still very much alive and all the story that night from him was only about how far of a shot he made.... Happy Hunting! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jdown said:

I agree with all of what you wrote.

Dan

Yesterday’s 150 yard coldbore shot. Browning XBolt LR 6.5 Creedmore. The shot shows at 9 o’clock but is actually at 12. My picture rotated left 

3D30A134-FD69-4550-8738-EB365956B71C.jpeg

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:01 PM, SHOOTER said:

So its been a while since I've posted  but I've got a question or two. I've been shooting long range ( 700 + yards )  off and on for about 10 years. I have just got to the point where I can coldbore shoot an MOA sized gong at 1000 yards. It took lots of shooting but with my data I have collected I feel like any given day,temp,elevation etc I can make a coldbore shot out to 1000 with my .338 ...that being said I'm not trying to brag, it took me way longer that I would have liked and I still could never bring myself to shoot an an animal that far. The thought of wounding an animal because of a botched shot makes me sick.

So seeing all the 700-1300 yards kills now days makes me wonder if I'm missing something? Are people shooting this good? Or are they getting some sighter shots in to get it done? What's your shooting experience and how far do you feel comfortable with a coldbore shot? Thoughts? Opinions?  

This isn't to start a argument. Or bash other hunters. It's more of a question to see how other long range shooters feel they can perform on a coldbore shot. 

One of the outdoor legends from my generation, I believe Jack O'Connor, once wrote something to the effect that when you get ready to squeeze the trigger on a game animal, you should not hope you can hit it in a vital spot, you should not guess that you can hit it, you should KNOW you can hit it.  This takes serious, intelligent, practice.  Shooting accurately from field positions, is not easy. I understand times have changed, and now we are bombarded by, and in many cases influenced by, non-stop promotions, marketing glitz, and advertising - and worst of all, Hollywood.  When these people get involved, all the goodness seems to evaporate, no matter what the activity is.  And we are suckers for it, along with all  the new Chi-com camo clothing, accessories, optics, and electronic gizmos.  One of these days, the Chinese will hand us our  lunch.  Good luck finding a place to hunt then, or even having anything to hunt with.

forepaw  

On 11/1/2018 at 4:21 PM, jdown said:

Went out to verify two rifles for my hunt next week, shot cold bore at 500. One rifle hit Rt 1/2 MOA made adjustments and the other was dead on a 1.5 inch bullseye.  Next verified at 200 yards. Now rifles are fowled in and I am confident how were they are shooting. 

• Like 1