SHOOTER

How is YOUR coldbore?

Just talked to a buddy of a buddy. whose 11 year old grandson took a 825 yard shot a coues.. hit him, but of course at that distance they think up front, but a bit high.  Lost blood after 40 or so yards--Oh well, just another one for the coyotes I guess...  Sorry guys, this is just insane.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jdown said:

Just talked to a buddy of a buddy. whose 11 year old grandson took a 825 yard shot a coues.. hit him, but of course at that distance they think up front, but a bit high.  Lost blood after 40 or so yards--Oh well, just another one for the coyotes I guess...  Sorry guys, this is just insane.   

This brings up a key part of long range shots. Dead deer walking, deer is going to die but not until it moves far enough, or into thick enough cover leaving no blood trail. If the bullet, cartridge and range combination lets you punch through both lungs but not exit far side hide, good luck. 

Nov 13th in S AZ, mid 20's that morning. Yep bore was not overly warm at 10:00 AM when my son spotted a small buck at 450yds. He got set up with trigger sticks and I called his dial up for next shot opportunity at a 350yd opening in the trees. I told him "take the shot if you get one". I am on my new Meopta 12X (nice glass, great glass for the $) and the buck is just about through the opening and BOOM in my right ear(good ear). I was on it and watched as the doe came out of trees a little lower down and the buck trailing her was not doing well from what I could tell watching glimpses of him through the trees. For maybe a minute or so no sign of the buck then I see him pile up just above where I last saw his doe friend. My son had not shot that rifle before and had done limited shooting in last two years since Army discharge. We did get him to a PRS match in SEPT. Shot was dead on, took the buck mid ribs angled through lungs liver and out paunch on off side. 270 WIN 145 gr through and though at 350. Not that far of a shot but far enough that having me spot the shot and watch what the buck did next was a big help. Cover was thick enough that without eyes on through the whole event it would have presented challenges for a solo shooter to keep track of the buck in that terrain.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

my last kills were 572 and 482 one shot kills, i shoot 1 day a year to check my zero and use the shooter app. my hunt is next week and i havent practiced once. 

Man, you have it figured out!  I shoot all the dam time, and seems like all I do is wear out barrels and turn money into noise.  I have tried Leupold's CDS and like it, it is just too tough to match shooting conditions with those laser-cut dials (unless you do your zeroing and hunting in the same spot).  Using Strelok now, and it seems pretty good.

forepaw

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, forepaw said:

Man, you have it figured out!  I shoot all the dam time, and seems like all I do is wear out barrels and turn money into noise.  I have tried Leupold's CDS and like it, it is just too tough to match shooting conditions with those laser-cut dials (unless you do your zeroing and hunting in the same spot).  Using Strelok now, and it seems pretty good.

forepaw

Not sure what my groups look like out there at that range. Try a .257 weatherby mark V 

Man I must be doing it wrong.  My last 4 coues were  ~50yrds, ~35yrds, ~80yrds and ~40yrds.  I watch them lay down, then I walk my fat old butt over there and shoot them when they stand up.  To be totally honest I can't say I had the time to verify those distances but I figured my 0 was relatively similar at those ranges and took the risk of pulling the trigger without adjusting turrets.  All were 1 shot kills with a 300wby and all required no tracking and all were cold bore.  I have had to shoot a couple at longer distances but longest coues was 300, longest mule deer was 396.  I'm glad they are bigger.... 

My furthest was a mule deer at 648yds, angled toward me so the shot broke his shoulder.  He did jump down hill and then piled up at the bottom.  There was very little wind and I had plenty of time to check the distance multiple times and set up the shot.  We had 3 coues deer taken in Mexico between 500-550 and all dropped where they stood and one Audad at 562 my dad shot, jumped off a rock and then did a header into a rock pile.  All were taken with the same rifle and time to set up the hunter with little to no wind.  

I will admit the misses as well.  Missed two coues deer in Mexico that were inside of 200 yds, getting excited and rushing is bad no matter how far you are.  

I would much rather have time to take a shot at a longer distance than be on top of a deer and feel the need to rush.

13 hours ago, jdown said:

Man I must be doing it wrong.  My last 4 coues were  ~50yrds, ~35yrds, ~80yrds and ~40yrds.  I watch them lay down, then I walk my fat old butt over there and shoot them when they stand up.  To be totally honest I can't say I had the time to verify those distances but I figured my 0 was relatively similar at those ranges and took the risk of pulling the trigger without adjusting turrets.  All were 1 shot kills with a 300wby and all required no tracking and all were cold bore.  I have had to shoot a couple at longer distances but longest coues was 300, longest mule deer was 396.  I'm glad they are bigger.... 

jdown  with such refined spot and stalk skills why the 300WMag? Is that so you don't have to gut they? 

• Like 1

Ha.. No just been lucky a few times I guess.  I have shot several in the 150-300 range and totally agree with rcdinaz and would rather set up and get that calm shot.  But for some reason either my spotter has lost them, or they went to the back side of the hill or I was on my way to higher ground and stepped on them where they weren't supposed to be.  It's like a big quail when they get up and scares the heck out of me.  But i grew up mule deer hunting and before we had optics, jump shooting them was not all that uncommon so I guess I can still throw a rifle up and find them in the scope before they get to moving.  I would feel pretty comfortable with the right conditions out to 450-500, but if I can get closer I seem to always trust my feet vs my shooting that far and try to close the gap.  I did miss one at about 80 and opening one time--he was not the buck I was after and was going to better ground and he jumped out on the other side of the drainage.  I was not locked and loaded and he got to getting going and I shouldn't have shot, but adrenaline got the better of me.. probably shot 3ft behind him.  So it doesn't always work.. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ThomC said:

How many have shot a Deer and missed and did not go to the spot to thoroughly verify the miss?😒

coues deer? could knock them over with a feather. i know that happens plenty with elk though

On 10/31/2018 at 5:38 AM, Flatlander said:

Sorry Shooter you obviously haven’t met the flat-brim-6.5-or-die-I-don’t-smile-for-pics-#longrangeshooting crowd that frequents these places. They can’t be questioned.

As for my first hand experience, the two people I have seen take 600+ yd shots on animals required more than one shot to seal the deal. In fact both were more than 5 shots.

Maybe Lance will jump in here. I think he took his bull last year at 700+ and I don’t think he heated up the barrel doing it.

c71a082c347cbc645fddd4fd9a1bfabe.jpg

• Like 2

Retired Navy Pilot and Army Sniper son, we good with 6.5C. I will paraphrase my Marine DI, GYSGT Brown USMC.  "the cartridge don't make the man the man makes the cartridge".

IMG95201808129512300195859.jpg

• Like 1