dcshorthairs

Ruger Precision vs X bolt long range

Looking for personal reviews on these two rifles. Looking at purchasing one in a 6.5 Creedmoor. I am want to hunt both medium and long ranges with it. If you had the cash in hand, what would you buy? Browning x bolt heck’s Canyon long range or ruger precision? This will be both a range gun and hunting rig. 

I have the Browning X bolt long range 26” bbl in 6.5 Creedmoor which is the same as the heck’s Canyon without the pretty gold tint. It shoots good with Hornady ELDX 143 gr but others not so much. Loud as poop with the muzzle break.  I like my 700 in 270 WSM better. 

The browning will be a lot lighter and probably better suited for hunting. 

• Like 3

I have a Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor. It is a fantastic shooter. But as previously mentioned, it is on the heavier side. It might not be the best pack gun, but you need to ask yourself how are you going to use it?

I bought mine for my wife and (currently) 10 year old daughter. Neither of them are likely to be packing in for multiple days, and I will probably always be carrying the rifle for them. So the extra few pounds isn't that big of a negative. However, it terms of comfort in shooting, the few extra pounds and factoty installed brake minimize the recoil. Both my wife and daughter love to shoot it and have no fear of it. Also, the adjustability of the stock was a big deal for my petite daughter. So for me it was the perfect rifle. If I didn't have several other rifles in various weights and calibers, that might not have been the case. 

Regardless, both are great factory rifles. 

Good luck. 

I have the xbolt hells canyon in the 6.5  love it so far, but she hasn't eaten yet..

500yrds , very accurate. Just sent scope off for torrent installed.

I assume turret.

• Like 1

I agree. I have to pick wisely. Closest browning in long range is at Cabela’s in Phoenix. 3.5 hour drive for me. The rugers are heavy. Held on a couple days ago. Surprised at the weight actually and wondering what it would be like hiking with that dude

I have the browning hells canyon lr in 28 nosler. Love it. Finally got it out On a hunt in Utah last week. 

B6195E22-DED2-464E-80CF-AD279386D804.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rhinoaz said:

I have the browning hells canyon lr in 28 nosler. Love it. Finally got it out On a hunt in Utah last week. 

B6195E22-DED2-464E-80CF-AD279386D804.jpeg

Nice buck! My dad was up there hunting with some family and see some quality bucks. Tell me about your x bolt. What’s you thoughts on it? I have heard it does great at longer ranges depending on the shooter. Has this been your experience?

Thanks on the deer. The gun shoots better than I can. I have a vortex viper hs lr scope on it for now as it was on sale and I couldn’t pass it up. Got it zero’d with factory ammo 160gr ab. Ordered turret and was instantly hitting 700yds. That’s the furthest I’ve practiced so far. I’m sure it has way more potential with handloads but I haven’t got into that yet