Sign in to follow this  
olmos1010

12A West

My twin daughters pulled the 12A West Doe tags for 11/9-11/12. I've only been to the Bab one time before back in 2008 for the archery deer. Unable to scout because of work I'm kind of going into this hunt blind. My questions are if anybody can recommend a decent spot to camp for this hunt. I'm not looking for any hunting areas just more less a good spot to park a trailer and camp. This is their first hunt and want them to experience all the beauty the Kaibab has to offer. Also if anybody has any info on where I can get a good 12A West map that would be greatly appreciated. The last would be what kind of weather to expect during this hunt. Feel free to p.m. me with any advice or suggestions. Thank you.

• Like 1

Pick a road.  Pull off, find a nice spot.

Weather can be sunny and 60 to snowing and single digits.  Bring everything.

• Like 1

I think they have had some weather up there so they may be moving down to the flats (western portion of the unit).  If so you will see hundreds of deer a day instead if they are still high and you only see about a 100.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Plenty of hunting and camping off of the 212 road. The burn from the warm fire has alot of deer in it right now. We were 20's and 50s Thursday through Tuesday.

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback.

2 hours ago, AZbowhntr said:

I think they have had some weather up there so they may be moving down to the flats (western portion of the unit).  If so you will see hundreds of deer a day instead if they are still high and you only see about a 100.

I think those days are gone. On Tuesday my son's buck was 132 out of 500 tags for 12W. Most of the people had already left.

The 22 RD where it goes down to the pine hollow rd. Many many camp sites and will be lots of camps. Hunt out of camp or many does should be around little MTN mid-range. Does down off the 423 by then with better vision. Have fun. Shouldnt be a problem finding Does.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure this post is talking about the jr doe hunt.  Not the buck hunts.  Even then, I had the early rifle buck hunt just a few years ago and saw easily 20 bucks a day.  If I had a short period of time to get a doe I would go west from Jacob Lake and hit the 22 rd and go about a mile south and take the road west.  There will more than likely be a lot of deer in that area.  I don't remember all of the road numbers right now.  Just my opinion.

On 11/2/2018 at 10:18 AM, Roosevelt Mark said:

I think those days are gone. On Tuesday my son's buck was 132 out of 500 tags for 12W. Most of the people had already left.

• Like 1

There are still plenty of deer up high in the burn. Lots of places to glass from. Plenty in the oaks mid range off the fingers to the west and plenty already dropped onto the flats. A good central place to camp is at the bottom of the 22 road before it starts climbing back up top right there at the 429.  I would camp lower just in case it snows.

• Like 2

I'm by far no kaibab expert but I learned a bunch from some of the best guys up there on the last hunt. There are so many does you could try to avoid them and still find them on accident. Whatever idea you have will probably work. But Kanab is north so I'm not sure where you mean. 

• Like 1