AZ513

Arizona Unit 10

Hey everyone who reads this, just wanted to introduce myself since I just joined. I’m 24 from Arizona lived here my entire life I mainly fish all year around but I just started to get into hunting and putting in the for the draw. Finally drew a tag after my 3rd year of putting in and got drawn for unit 10. I have the late rifle hunt, November 30th - December 6th. My dad and uncle got drawn for the Unit 10 October 19th antlerless elk hunt and we were just there with no luck. We stayed off the private ranch there in unit 10  and came up short. Came across some tracks and about a week old elk droppings all over the place but could never get on any. Other hunters we ran into out there said the same thing, that they didn’t even glass any up. We coverd a decent amount of ground but couldn’t locate any not sure if it was the weather or the foot traffic but I was curious if anyone else who had that hunt had any luck and If anyone had any advice for unit 10 in general. Is it worth paying $110 to hunt on the private ranch and then making my dad pay another $80 just to assist and go with? I’m not looking for anybody’s secret area or them to give me everything they know about unit 10 just some over all general advice for unit 10 since I’m new to this I know how forums go, was part of the azbasszone for years so I’m not looking for handouts. I know it’s the late hunt and weather can play a factor on where they go but just thought I’d give it a shot if anyone has any advice or past experience. Thanks for reading, Taylor

D5C8849B-8952-4BAF-8B00-B5FB432D612C.jpeg

D6FFA9BF-4FAA-427E-97B2-D42D0B702F54.jpeg

Can't run cameras, can't sit water, no ATV's, gotta pay money... It sucks... And thats exactly why a lot of big bulls reside there.. And the rez just 1 fence hop away doesn't hurt either.. 

I was dead set against EVER paying that stupid fee. Then some buddies paid my fees to help them on their early archery hunt that they drew with 0 points....  Guess where I'm headed when I eventually draw my tag.... 

• Like 2

Yeah that’s what I don’t like is how many rules they have for the price amount you pay. I’m leaning towards paying the fee I just have some family members that want to go and don’t want them to pay an extra $80 just to help pack out if I’m able to get one. I appreciate the input and I guess that’s true why the bulls hang in that part of the unit. 

Hey there, I was up there with a friend for the antlerless hunt and can also comment on not seeing a ton of elk or sign. We had a few rough days off I think it was Rd # 7 just North of the 124. The last night we were up there we took a drive through the Perrin Ranch (part of the ranch-access program) and thought there were some good areas to glass, so we headed back in there for our last morning. We ended up seeing a herd at first light and after being in tight with them for a few hours, finally got a shot at a cow. It was tough, but we got it done on the last day!

I wouldn't say where we found these elk was a real obvious spot by the looks of it, but there were a few bulls in the herd. If you're not looking for a monster, message me and I can point you to where we came across these elk.

• Like 2

Nice man! Congrats on getting one, I’m sure it was tough but better then coming back empty handed with some what if’s in mind. 

Yeah being this is my first elk hunt I’m not looking for or will hold out for the trophy bull I’ll save that for later on in life when I get more experience. But I’ll send you a message 

well I came back empty handed from this hunt. This one will probably haunt me until next year. Got in late Thursday night onto the ranch and the roads were pretty nasty from the rain all night but Friday morning we were able to get onto some fresh signs but never glassed any. Friday afternoon we moved spots more north on the ranch and we were able to come across a few cows that were bedded down that we were able to get within about 150 yards of and watched them for about 40 minutes before they kinda thought something was near. One of them started barking and we thought we were going to watch a bull come in but it never happened and we moved around looking for one in the area but couldn't locate any. The next morning we got in the same area before sunrise and when the sun was peaking over we glassed up 4 bulls climbing a ridge together. The closest one was ranged out at 278 yards and after debating to try and take the shot or not or move in a little closer the nearest one moved up to 343 yards and that was farther than I wanted to take a shot. They were gone over the ridge pretty quick, when it was all said and done. That was the only bulls we saw, they were all pretty big too.  We were in where they were bedding and fresh tracks Saturday afternoon but never spotted anything else again. Sunday the snow moved in and was unable to locate them again I'm guessing they moved south.  I should have just taken that shot. Hopefully who ever else was in the ranch had success

18 minutes ago, AZ513 said:

well I came back empty handed from this hunt. This one will probably haunt me until next year. Got in late Thursday night onto the ranch and the roads were pretty nasty from the rain all night but Friday morning we were able to get onto some fresh signs but never glassed any. Friday afternoon we moved spots more north on the ranch and we were able to come across a few cows that were bedded down that we were able to get within about 150 yards of and watched them for about 40 minutes before they kinda thought something was near. One of them started barking and we thought we were going to watch a bull come in but it never happened and we moved around looking for one in the area but couldn't locate any. The next morning we got in the same area before sunrise and when the sun was peaking over we glassed up 4 bulls climbing a ridge together. The closest one was ranged out at 278 yards and after debating to try and take the shot or not or move in a little closer the nearest one moved up to 343 yards and that was farther than I wanted to take a shot. They were gone over the ridge pretty quick, when it was all said and done. That was the only bulls we saw, they were all pretty big too.  We were in where they were bedding and fresh tracks Saturday afternoon but never spotted anything else again. Sunday the snow moved in and was unable to locate them again I'm guessing they moved south.  I should have just taken that shot. Hopefully who ever else was in the ranch had success

Sounds like a tough hunt. It will help you with any future hunts tho. All that knowledge you gained will change how you hunt them next time.

Something I learned is regardless if it’s opening day or the end of the season: if there’s a shot, take it! 😎

• Like 1

Yeah it defiantly wasn't an easy hunt. I've learned a lot from it which will help with any future hunts I have. I've also learned that there are a lot of road hunters. I didn't see anybody else walking around which isn't bad but it sucked when you were glassing an area from a distance and then a truck would drive by and cut off that road. Next tine I have a shot ill be taking it! Not passing up another opportunity. Debating on heading back up Thursday

1 hour ago, 5alivefishing said:

If your comfortable with the shot, if not you made the correct decision. 

I was comfortable with the shot just because it was a straight shot with 0 wind to affect it. However we thought we would be able to cut down some distance to get closer to the 200 yard mark. Live and ya learn

14 hours ago, AZ513 said:

Yeah it defiantly wasn't an easy hunt. I've learned a lot from it which will help with any future hunts I have. I've also learned that there are a lot of road hunters. I didn't see anybody else walking around which isn't bad but it sucked when you were glassing an area from a distance and then a truck would drive by and cut off that road. Next tine I have a shot ill be taking it! Not passing up another opportunity. Debating on heading back up Thursday

Definately go back for redemption.

Go back if you can.