Sign in to follow this  
duckhunter175

Expectations vs Reality

I started down the long range and reloading road when I started planning my Coues hunt for 2015. Back then I had a very set work schedule, easy access to a range and I had plenty of time to tinker. I started investing more and more heavily, better reloading components, better glass, better (custom) rifles. Some of you guys might remember my back up rifle thread from a year ago when I spent time customizing a Rem 700 270 CDL. Well- a lot has changed in just a year and a half. I left the active duty military and have another career now- still carrying a gun to work but different hat and no more moving every two years. I also just bought a new house and have a baby (my first) on the way in January!!

I'm quickly realizing that my time for MY HOBBIES will be more limited than in the past (working nights/weekends/+new kiddo). My range time/ammo is spent more on my duty rifle/pistol skills than on load dev and LR practice. And the free time I have I want to actually be out hunting...  In the meantime I have been beating this subject to death in my head. I came here because of the forums that I'm on I think the guys here tend to be the most experienced and most willing to help out with good advice. 

I'm thinking through options in my head for how to handle this time, quality, accuracy dilemma. I'm not sure whether to 'hold what I got' and see how things go after the kiddo and maybe after the busy fall I'm having I won't feel pressured. Or do I make some moves- clean out some rifles that are pretty much handload specific (6.5x284, 22-250ai, 7RUM), clean out the reloading bench and look at a do-all, over the counter rifle/factory ammo combo that will work for hunting in the 4-500 yard arena. The longest shot I've taken hunting is 411 yards, out to 800 on steel... Do I save myself time and money with this option?  Or will I feel like I'm missing out with the tinkering. This is where I'm struggling--- As far as costs of factory ammo vs reloading- I'm not sure I'm gonna be shooting enough to make it worthwhile- I get to the range more than the "day before opener" crowd but I doubt I will be able to put more than 100rds through each hunting rifle each year...

I'm sure some guys out there have been through this- what say you guys?

Well 1st off.  CONGRATS!!  Honestly it sounds like things are looking up for you, even thought life is getting super busy.  Having been thru the newborn/young kid cycle I know what you have coming and are planning for.

I would def keep your core reloading gear.  Maybe in a year you are back in a place to do it again, maybe not.  Do you get an ammo allocation to work with your duty pieces?  If so then I could maybe see letting the gear go.  However the thing about reloading is..  well, it does not change over time, I mean not really at the core of it.  sure maybe new powders or bullets come out, but press, dies, brass do not change.  As long as stored properly that gear could sit for 10yrs and still be good, and ready when you pull them out.  Rather than take a "loss" selling used, and then have to buy it again later on, just hold onto it.  Maybe let some of the guns go with matching relaoding items if they have value right now and you are not going to shoot them for the forseable future.  Just keep one gun to scratch that itch if you need?

You could also use the reloading gear to make ammo for your duty rigs, especially if you are having to pay for the ammo to practice for sure keep the reloading gear.  Is your press single stage or progressive?  Even 9mm ammo you can save a considerable amount of $/box by reloading.  I know many people scoff at it, but a box of 50rnds only costs me $6.10 to reload, versus over 14 to buy from a stock, or maybe 11-12 mail order when I place has a super sale/free shipping.  Plus the reloading for service weapon will be more plinking ammo, and that is something that you can do when you have a spare hour here and there as a way to "get away" from the rush and stress or work/family.  You can also break down your LR round creation and hunting round creation the same way.  Spend a hour sizing a batch.  week later trim, etc, etc..   over time you gradually get to point all you are doing is dropping powder and seating bullet.  Some guns also just have a specific load they like.  If you have a good load developed for one of the ones you have then stick with that gun/bullet and sell the others.  then when you feel the itch you have a round/gun ready to go and can switch up practice one day.

Long and short I think it makes sense to keep options open, trim back to only one LR rig that you use for LR&hunting but keep the reloading gear to feed it and service guns.

• Like 1

I'm an empty-nester now, but the days of young babies, new financial commitments and never feeling to have enough time seems like it was yesterday.  All these new things can make you feel a little overwhelmed.  Stay the course.  Hang on to what you got, but go back to the basics.  My grandpa used to say "beware the one gun man".  Pick one weapon as your 'release' and get to know it inside out until it becomes part of you.  Hang on to your reloading stuff.  I found mine to be a great release or escape.  It was something that took concentration thereby relaxing me - and I never had to leave the house.  I was always right there if my wife or kids needed my help.

You will slowly acclimate to the new changes in your life and as you better manage your time, things will get easier.  Kind of like a heavy pack.  You get used to it the farther down the trail you get.  Hang in there.  You sound like you are going to be a great Dad.

• Like 4

Congrats on the upcoming family. That will obviously take more of your spare time.

I used to work a 4-10 shift and spend most Fridays at the range and tinkering with my guns and loads. Then came a shortage of qualified employees and I found myself working 5-12's. So much for Fridays at the range. I had been a rather skilled shooter and 0.5 MOA or less was the norm. Now 3 custom 700's with NSX scopes have sat in the safe all year untouched. I had an archery bull elk hunt so the practice time got dedicated there. My parents moved, a major chore because my father and I maintain a fairly complete fabrication shop. A very good friend had a serious run-in with cancer and needed quite a bit of help with chores around the house. When I do get back to the range It will probably be more along the line of 5.0 MOA. I'll work it back down to something respectable when time becomes available. In the mean time I know I still have my toys and will get to play with them again in the future. They are expensive to replace. If you like what you have keep it. You will find time to use them just like I will. Right now it is still a good feeling knowing they are sitting in the safe just waiting on me.

• Like 1

Keep the reloading gear and your hobbies.

Kids never stopped my wife and I from doing what we liked to do., we took them with us. our second kid has some major health issues and also has down syndrome. we adjusted around it. still didnt stop us from doing what we did. we took him everywhere with us. he couldnt walk till he was 4 or 5 just carried him everywhere. deer hunting duck hunting etc etc. he enjoyed the crap out of it. at 4 months out 1st daughter spent 2 weeks out in 12awest with us camping under a tarp and bow hunting with me. wife read a book at camp.

when I wasnt working I would be at home reloading with the kids in the garage. they loved that stuff. Wife and I had different shifts when I worked days she went to nights and went I went to nights she went to days. one of us always was with out kids 24/7.

I never understood why people get all worried about having kids and not being able to do the things they like to do. you can still do them you just bring them along. kid and I used to duck quail and yote hunt all the time. either by me carrying her in her carseat or in a pack. she was like 6-8 months old and called in her 1st fox sitting in her car seat on the big burm off the side of bell road toward the whitetanks. yelling kitty kitty, she called in a bobcat when she was around 3 or 4 Gave her the call and let her make noise. The boy was a little more difficult but we still managed. once we got over that stage of" is it safe"

you gotta live , when you have kids you live through there eyes and tahts the coolest part.

you will find time to do things you like. luckly my wife is cool and didnt mind, have friends that once they had kids there wifes changed everything. all those guys are divorced, mostly the guys fault the wifes are still cool. . I'm still married 35+ years later with 3 awsum kids that have done everything I have done. I wont fish hunt, reload shooting or go out scouting with at least one of them.

Besides taking the kid out hunting with you will give your wife break

Delw

• Like 4

After divorce, a move another move then my last move hand loading has gone to the side. I have time for PRS shoots and do small bore silhouette. The PRS gets me on longer targets once a month and small bore silhouette gets me on off hand & trigger work once a month. In the PRS I have found Hornady American Gunner 6.5C 140 gr to be just about as accurate as the Match Ammo from Hornady (sub 1/2 MOA in a good rifle), (American Gunner 140 6.5C $150 for 200 rounds bulk). Phoenix Rod & Gun Club has 500 yd practice  WED @  noon and FRI in early AM Ben Avery has 600 or 1000 yard practice I think on THURS. PRGC you need to be a member or a guest of member Ben Avery you go to 1000 yrd range and pay them a nominal fee. that or shoot steel you hang or rocks in the desert. Let me know if you have questions about any of this, hope it helps.

• Like 1

Delw makes great points. Kinda depends on where Mom is on the whole camping shooting thing. I can recall being very young and helping my Dad load shotgun shells. Back then I got to run paper shells over a hot iron to straighten out the wax paper cases, red Federals and I can picture the look, feel and smell clearly. We also helped stack wads and scoop and pour shot that and prime cases. Very high quality memories.

• Like 1

Congrats on the baby on the way - and awesome that you have your priorities straight. But you'll still need to have some "me" time, as will your wife.

I'd suggest, like most have already, don't start selling off your reloading stuff. It's only going to be harder to replace later. Sounds like you already have some good/great guns to work with. Pick one (I'd suggest the 6.5x284 because I'm biased) and focus on that one. Make it your project rifle and still tinker while balancing the whole life, family, work, fun dilemma. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BOWUNTR said:

Buy a bow... you'll never look back. Ed F

Been an avid bowhunter for years!! Love getting some of the best times of the year to hunt. It is just as deep of a rabbit hole when you start building arrows and playing around with all the variables. No archery in the cards this year after a blown biceps tendon this summer.

• Like 1

Gents- Thanks for the positive words and encouragement!! Couldn't be more excited to have the little one join us and really looking forward to sharing some of the memories that I watch guys post here often with their kids' successes. I've been viewing the reloading bench as an opportunity cost in time and money- could it be better spent on experiences with the family and experiences outside.

Several of you put it into good perspective- it should be an enjoyable enterprise... and it isn't going anywhere. I might just have to slow down and just work with one rifle and load at a time and just not as frequently. I always loved time behind the bench and learning the minute details of handloading- I kind of lost sight of that part with all the life changes that has been the whirlwind of 2018.

Once we get everything moved into the house (and the nursery built) I am going to get the bench set up-- as long as I still find it a good release and enjoyable it will have a place in my garage and in my safe!

• Like 2

Pick one rifle.   I would choose your 6.5 X 284 and get really good with that one gun ( I also own a custom 6.5 X 284)   It will kill everything in the lower 48 with ease.    You don't need to shoot sub MOA to have fun spending time in the field and hunting.   A stock remington 700 (or other favorite brand) will shoot 500 yards out of the box all day long.   Everyone is WAY to caught up into the gear right now.    The key really is spending time in the field.   Most people spend to much time working for money so they can obtain gear.  Instead they should be spending money on fuel so they can be out in the field.    That is where the best time is spent.   

Kids are an adventure.   We took our girl on her first camping trip at 6 weeks old.   When my boy arrived he just followed suit.   Kids LOVE all this outdoors stuff.   You just have to make sure that they are warm and take time to let them do "kids stuff" when you are out on your adventures.    They will have a blast picking flowers, throwing rocks at tanks, building forts, collecting all the various crap off the forest floor and bringing it back to came.........then wanting to take it home like a new puppy.    My kids like fishing and are just getting to the age where they can hunt.    I just recently shot a deer and my wife shot an elk.   We process our own meat and the kids helped us the best they could.   They think it is fun and will ask a ton of questions.    Just takes a little time and you will have a good helper.   

Relax about hunting too.   You don't have to scout 51 weekends a year and hunt 1 weekend a year.   So do a little less scouting.....or zero scouting.    Who cares.    Get out in the field and have a good time.   Maybe you will shoot something and maybe you won't.   It will probably matter less than you think.    Then when you have more time you can apply yourself more to the sport.   Again, it is more about getting out in the field then anything else.   Just get out when you can and have a good time.   

Oh one last thing.    This is a great time to collect points.   Me and my wife collected points for a few critters.   Now we are going on some killer hunts because we really didn't have the time to do the hunting we wanted too.   We did some left over tags, bow hunts, fishing trips, camping trips, and just collected points.   Now we have time and money and can really enjoy the hunts.   Its been a blast.  You will get there.  

• Like 2

Things are going well- we are T-3 weeks from arrival!! I'm keeping most of my reloading hardware, farming out some of the stuff I know I won't use.  Some of the scopes and optics that haven't been as useful as I thought are listed for sale now. I'm upgrading my binos and the scope on the rifle that I tend to hunt with the most- the RUM is gonna stay because it is just a laser beam. I'll get loads for them developed in the off season when there is no time crunch for upcoming hunts and I'll call it good!